ran domness
1 Copper

RE: New XPS 13 (9333) Constant Noise

Jump to solution

feelgoodcat:

thax for update pls let us know how it goes!

0 Kudos
robertwl9
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Terry, as you know, on the XPS 15 forum/board, a number of recent recipients of the XPS have reported much improved noise levels and, indeed, complete quiet on many new XPS 15 orders. 

I can't find similar, updated XPS 13 testimonials online re. reduced noise so please tell me this:

Does that mean that the XPS 13, based on its current improvements/modifications and current construction, will ALSO, with certainty, have matching levels of reduced quiet just as the XPS 15 has lately experienced?

That is, do the XPS 15 and 13 share the exact new components related to the prior noise problems and thus share the same recent noise reduction/improvement?

0 Kudos
mt175
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Can anybody confirm that the following version of the XPS13 9333 (http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-13-9333/pd) still has the noise problem. Looking to buy this week, but not if this problem is present.

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
mt175
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Another important question is if the problem is present, will it show up within 30 days (return period)? Or have some people had no problems initially, only to have the coil-while problem start up months later?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
SimonTWUK
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Another important question is if the problem is present, will it show up within 30 days (return period)? Or have some people had no problems initially, only to have the coil-while problem start up months later?

Thanks again.

As far as I'm aware it is not really a problem that "appears" over time, but one that is just there, so you will likely hear it from the very first time you use the laptop. That was my experience anyway, and it has not changed at all over time, by either getting better or getting worse.

When I spoke to someone via the @DellCares Twitter account about this issue they said "We are aware of this, there are few systems impacted & we'll ensure we design a resolution in near future." Which is a fairly vague response unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Elsa11
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with the earphones. I found an interesting page http://xps13-9333.appspot.com and the white_noise_fix.py script from chapter Headset/headphones background noise http://xps13-9333.appspot.com/#background_noise resolved this issue temporary.

In the meantime I did a system update (Arch Linux) and with the Kernel version 3.16.x the noise disappeared without using the script.

Hi Clemenst,

Thanks for the tip, I was already using it actually. It solves indeed the white noise problem, but not the electric pops or clicks that I can still hear...

Elsa.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Are there any updates about this? I just bought this dell xps 13 and have the same issue even though I was told it was fixed before making the purchase. I'm likely going to return it as this in itself and also the wifi dropouts are both deal breakers in themselves. If I can get both issues fixed (unlikely) I'll keep it otherwise return it next week.

0 Kudos
Elsa11
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I got a phone call yesterday: they said that the new mother board that will solve the issue will be deployed next week (I am in Belgium, I don't know if that matters)... Unfortunately I will not be there and I'll have to wait till october when I return to have it changed on my XPS 13.

Elsa.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Elsa. Are you saying they have to come to your house and replace your motherboard?

I have no idea why mine that I just received yesterday still has the fault if there is a "corrected" motherboard available - especially when they told me the issue was fixed. Totally unacceptable for a $1500 laptop.

And with these constant wireless dropouts and the ridiculous time it takes to connect in the first place I'm extremely disappointed with this product and my perception of Dell is significantly worse. I'm starting to wonder what else might break down even if these issues were fixed.

0 Kudos
elpaso66
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well, I'm a bit tired to wait (months) and still  not having a final statement that the new XPS 13 dev-edition will ship with the fixed motherboard. Or worse: if the new motherboards really solve the problem without introducing any other.

I'm sorry to hijack this thread but I would really appreciate if somebody could give some advice about a similar or better laptop with full Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 or debian) compatibility, available in Europe.

0 Kudos