DELL-Terry B
5 Tungsten

RE: New XPS 13 (9333) Constant Noise

Jump to solution

I have unlocked this thread. The new updated system boards should be available in most areas globally. If you have an XPS 13 system that has an abnormally loud whine or hiss you should contact tech support in your area and request a service.

All new XPS 13 systems being manufactured will have the updated system boards as well.

If you have a new XPS 13 system or recently have had a service having the system board replaced and there was little or no change in the amount of noise that the system produces please post here.

Other threads discussing the abnormal noise on the XPS 13 may be found in the following links

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/p/19541816/20673503

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19598705/20683543#20683543

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
tomas.teijeiro
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Terry,

Last week the system board of my XPS 13 was replaced (the noise problem was reported back in January), but the noise problem is still exactly the same, so I suspect the problem is not well identified. The device was acquired from Dell Spain.

0 Kudos
Nick Hubscher
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info Terry. Could you let us have a reference or something to quote to tech (or some way of referring to the issue that they will understand) when we call so they know what the issue is about.

You know how it will be otherwise if the person on the end of the phone doesn't have a clue about it and we have to explain it all again from the beginning..

Otherwise if they don't have the new boards as replacements in any given country there is a risk of it being replaced again with an "old" board.

Also, how will we know and be able to tell and verify that the replacement board actual is a "new" board please?

Thanks.

ceemod
1 Copper

Jump to solution

just had a mainboard swap.

- keyboard coil whine louder than before, noise frequency more homogeneous

- piezo-electrical cpu whine louder than before, noise frequency more homogeneous

0 Kudos
wanderlost
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you Terry.

I received a revised XPS 15 board, manufactured in July 13 2014 in China. The coil whine is unchanged (recording). C-state limiting to 0 and/or disabling Speedstep do not improve it. Does your post indicate that there is another new revised board I can hope for?

0 Kudos
riclf
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is truly so disappointing !

Any experiences with new purchases with the new board ?

-Ric

0 Kudos
ceemod
1 Copper

Jump to solution

my new mainboard is supposed to be one that fixes / improves the problems, which it has obviously not done. afaik, mainboards from after september the 5th (?) are 'fixed' ones.

0 Kudos
delluser046
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello 

You mentioned in this post that all laptops shipped after 5th September will carry the new motherboard that doesn't have the sound emitting from its keyboard. 

I ordered my laptop on 19th September and it still makes the sound from the keyboard. 

My order number is <ADMIN NOTE: Order number removed per privacy policy>

Can you have a look at my order and tell me what my options are. 

How many days do I have left to return my xps

Thank You 

0 Kudos
wonderboy1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dell Technician brought a main board for my noisy xps 13 today, but the main board was not a new updated one - took out from used xps, so I called the dell tech support, and told them that it won't fix the coil whine problem. However, dell tech support staff said they never heard about coil whine problem and new main board for xps 13, so told them about this forum and Terry's posts.  Dell tech support guy insisted that the board he sent to the technician should fix the problem. I really doubted that, and didn't wasted my time, but since the technician came to my place, I decided I gave it a shot.

IT WAS BAD DECISION. My xps 13 still emits coil whine noises, and furthermore I can't even boot it up in battery mode. The error message said the battery cannot be identified. I have been waiting for 8 months  for new main board. It is very disappointing and frustrating.

Dell tech support staff are very rude and arrogant - never try to listen to me.

Please dell people communicate each other. I think only Terry knows this problem and new board.  This coil whine problem is very infamous, even we can find it on wikipedia. Everybody knows but dell.

Dell, please listen to what customers say.

If you, xps users, plan to repair your computers, forget about it. You will waste your valuable time. Just return it if you can.  If you can't return it, never try to repair it. There is no updated main board out there yet or maybe never will be. The technicians dell send you are untrained part-time clumsy guys. They will ruin your computer and make more problem.

Dell tech support (outsourcing) usually knows nothing but they pretend to know everything. Don't listen to them. The coil whine problem is caused by a main board. Not the fan or the speaker !!! 

0 Kudos
m1nkeh
1 Copper

Jump to solution

what a car crash... lol.

0 Kudos