kuqiki
1 Copper

RE: New XPS 13 (9333) Constant Noise

Jump to solution

Oh wow San11, this the same for me. The noise completely goes when the backlight is off on my keyboard too.

DanyDany
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm Daniel from Italy, and I bought this laptop since 10 days. I have the same noise, so it is something common.

The Laptop is fantastic, only one thing makes me doubtful,, not all applications and programs are optimized with full hd resolution, Can you confirm?

Some programs or applications, also some windows settings seem to be blurred.

Thanks So much!

Heldenhaft
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, i disable the backlight of the keyboard and the noise is gone...great..but i use the system at night (bedroom) :)...

Hmm...sorry if i connect a usb device (arduino) and the leds are off, the noise is back...

Maybe some voltage divider problem?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Daniel,

The blurry script problem is a Windows 8.1 issue but this is easily fixed, as follows:

1. Right click on desktop and select 'Screen Resolution.' Resolution screen appears

2. Click on link for 'Make my text larger or smaller'

3. Check the box of 'Let me choose one scaling lever for all my displays.'  That should resolve the issue for you.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi TB,

Thank you for joining this discussion. I'm glad Dell are investigating this.

The noise is worse with the keyboard lit. It is still present when off but less so.

Changes to the sound card have no effect. 

The sound seems to originate under the keyboard on the top right side.

I'm expecting a tech to arrive this morning following a call I raised with Dell earlier in the week. I'll post back here following the visit.

0 Kudos
DanyDany
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Daniel,

The blurry script problem is a Windows 8.1 issue but this is easily fixed, as follows:

1. Right click on desktop and select 'Screen Resolution.' Resolution screen appears

2. Click on link for 'Make my text larger or smaller'

3. Check the box of 'Let me choose one scaling lever for all my displays.'  That should resolve the issue for you.

Hi thanks so much! I resolved with find exe of the application, then click Properties, then compatibility and than flag "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". In this case all blurred effect goes away!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello all,

Dell tech (Steve) arrived on site this morning. We went through a variety of tests with keyboard, sound, power and SSD. We found sound  coming from the keyboard (when lit) and the SSD. Steve removed the SSD and booted the system (system reports no HDD error but is powered on) with almost no noise even with a lit KB.

No parts were replaced but a replacement SSD has been ordered which will be tried next week after the part arrives. 

Additional note: I was impressed with Dell's tech, Steve. Very logical and thorough in the investigation of the issue. As I work in IT, I can appreciate these things! 

Other theory: Root cause may not be the SSD but rather electrical current related. Both the keyboard and SSD could be a victim of a current issue. Will have to wait and see next week. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks san11 for bringing up the back light. Is it the consensus now that turning off the keyboard backlight if it doesn’t remove the problem altogether at least reduces the amount of noise?

Does everyone agree that disabling the sound card in device manager really doesn’t seem to help?

Most has mentioned that the noise is coming from under the keyboard. The cooling fan on the system is near the rear of the notebook to the left side (XPS 9333/13). Is it everyone’s consensus that the fan is not the source of the noise?

Thanks Captain_Colossus for keeping us up to date on the service. I want to make sure that I understand that from your experience the noise is actually coming from the SSD. Once the SSD was removed the noise stopped, even with the keyboard back light turned on, is this correct?

Most of you should be getting friend requests from me today if you haven’t already. Please accept them so that I can send all of you a private message to collect service tags. I would like compare the builds of your systems and see if there is a similarity between them that may explain this.

I appreciate all of your patience in this.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
tilltill
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same issue with my new XPS 13 that arrived today.

The irregular, high-pitched sound seems to originate from the top right corner of the keyboard and can be turned off by switching off the keyboard lighting. Dimming the keyboard light causes the sound to change, I perceive the "dimmed light" noise as slightly lower, but I might be fooled. Did anyone else observe this?

To me, this points towards a connection between the frequency we hear and a pulse width modulated signal that is probably used to control the brightness of the LEDs. Its frequency could be in a realistic range to match the noise we hear.

0 Kudos
kuqiki
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes the noise seems to originate in the top right corner beneath the keyboard.

The sound does change when I dim the keyboard, it gets lower but is still pretty loud.

A bizarre thing has happened with mine a couple of times, where it has started making the noise with the backlight off, but then when I switch it back to full keyboard lighting, the noise disappears. The noise then comes back when I dim the backlight, getting lower when I turn it off; it's almost as if the cycle has 'shifted' over. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it leads me to think the noise is not directly a result of the backlighting as sometimes it is silent with the backlight on full too.

0 Kudos