Not applicable

RE: New XPS 13 (9333) Constant Noise

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I've done some further testing and here's what I've found:

1) When idle, keyboard backlight off - silent.

2) When idle, keyboard backlight on - noise from top right with two different frequencies corresponding to the backlight-level.

3) When cores@100% and just before the fan kicks in, the noise returns for a moment and then disappears (stress 1.0.1-1build1, cmd line "stress -c 4").

I haven't been able to recreate the cycle @kuqiki describes probably because I haven't used the laptop much as I don't really want to set it up if I need to return it to get it fixed. 

@DELL-Terry B - I haven't received a friend request from you. I've sent an email to the "support" address but am yet to receive a reply. Disabling the soundcard has no effect.

Happy new year everyone emoticon.Smile.title

0 Kudos
nibulix
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I experience the same symptoms with the the high-pitched sound on my DELL13 (9333). But it seems to me, that turning on or turning off of the keyboard backlight influences the noise level.

0 Kudos
nibulix
1 Copper

Jump to solution

After some testing I found out following effects:

1) When keyboard backlight is on - silence

2) When keyboard backlight is off - high-pitched noise

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello all,

Do we know if this problem exists only for the i7? Does anyone here have the i5 chip?

FYI I bought the i7.

0 Kudos
pkn1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Definitely noise is from the Fan & its very high when a processor intensive application is run ex. an antivirus scan.

Desperately need a Bios fix for this.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Terry,

Sorry, I missed your question to me.

You are correct: once the HDD/SSD was removed, no noise could be heard, even with the keyboard back light on. (FYI: the unit was running with a 'missing hard drive' message on the screen.

My call has progressed further: the techs are replacing the SSD tomorrow, and if the noise can still be heard after that, the motherboard will then be replaced.

I will post to this forum when the unit is received back on what has been changed and the state of the unit. I won't get a change to review the unit until I'm home from work.

Terry, I'm yet to receive a friend request from you.

Do we have an idea if this is only the i7 model and the extent of this issue? i.e. 0.5% of units or 50% or 100% of units? Also, are you able to advise if a fix is being developed yet (e.g. BIOS), or is hardware/component replacement only at this point?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ekingr
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Exactly the same symptoms for mine that I just unboxed.

It definitely seems current-related...

Guillaume.

0 Kudos
Heldenhaft
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

i recorded the noise. The sounds start from the 7 seconds and change its frequency from the 17 seconds....(i switch the keyboard lights):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17196069/dell-xps-13-noise.wav

0 Kudos
graffixnyc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I can confirm my unit i7 model is doing this as well I don't really notice it with the keyboard backlight off but I do notice it with the KB backlight on. As others reported, on the top right side. 

Captain Colossu: I don't understand why you wouldn't just exchange the unit instead of going through the repair process. A new system should not have to be repaired. This model is so new I would think no one is out of the return window yet.. If this is a HW related issue (which it seems to be) I think I will be exchanging mine for another since I'm within my return period. 

To me it sounds like a ground issue.. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I received my unit back today. Items replaced were keyboard, SSD, motherboard and speakers and the noise is still there!

Dell is sending another motherboard which should be replaced in the next few days.

If the noise remains after that I will ask for a replacement unit.

Here's a strange symptom: I plugged in my iPod shuffle to charge. As the light goes on and off (representing charging state), I can hear the noise change pitch.

CC

0 Kudos