Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2016 16:00

New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate

I've had this computer about 4 days. At first I didn't notice the problem, but I did notice a touchpad wasn't working. I troubleshot that for the first day, downloaded all updates, made sure all drivers were new, bios was the latest version, etc. Finally, had to uninstall Microsoft drivers and install Synaptic drivers. Which seemed to fix that problem.

I believe the first day the computer could sleep. By the 3rd day though I found my battery had completely drained overnight and quickly found the computer wouldn't sleep or hibernate. It would turn off though and restart.

I used powercfg and event viewer to see what was happening. In event viewer I noticed that everytime I would try and sleep I would get an error from Runtimebroker.exe, about not having proper permissions. I found a solution to that, but then event viewer said that a printer driver was preventing sleep. I uninstalled that. Then event viewer was saying USBHUB3 was preventing sleep. I disabled that. Still wasn't sleeping and from then on event viewer just said "an unknown event" was preventing sleep.

Got some errors in from powercfg too, the most worrisome was "aspm disabled due to hardware incompatibility." Never figured this one out. Also in event view was "Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" errors.

At this point, I just did a fresh install with a full wipe. Everything went fine (although strangely the Synaptic drivers I had to install manually last time tried to install automatically). Before I made any changes I tried to sleep again and no luck. Plus I see all the errors I saw last time: Runtimebroker permission errors, ASPM and TDP errors.  Plus my touchpad *** again with the Microsoft drivers.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2016 21:00

I tried the following and none worked consistently:
update bios to 1.4.4

disable hibernate

boot into safe mode

change power scheme. 

The worst thing is that the computer even won't keep shutting down. It powers itself up right after powering off. 

Dell, are you listening? 

No Events found!