Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2015 10:00

New XPS 13 - solid amber light always on

Hi,

Bought recently the new XPS 13 and have a weird problem.

The battery indicator always shows a solid amber light when it is plugged in (100% battery) and what is more strange when it's turned off.

I have updated BIOS although I think I had the latest one anyway.

There are no other evident problems.

Please advise, thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 7th, 2015 14:00

The battery charge LED for the XPS 13 will glow amber if the battery is low on charge.  With the AC adapter connected and the system turned off the battery should charge fairly quickly and then the LED should turn white indicating that the battery is no longer low in charge and is being charged. Once fully charged the LED should go dark.

Battery Charge LED

• LED that indicates battery charge state.
    • Illuminates white while plugged in and charging. When the charging is completed LED turns off.
    • Battery level is low, LED illuminates in amber color.

Please reply back if it looks like the system is having problems charging the battery.

TB

4 Posts

May 7th, 2015 23:00

Thanks for reply.

The battery charge LED is flashing a solid amber when plugged in and with 100% battery charge. When the laptop is shut down and with the AC adapter connected it still has a solid amber.

It doesn't disappear at any time (almost). The only time it changes to solid white for a few seconds is when I turn on/off the laptop.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 8th, 2015 14:00

That is unusual,  does the system appear to be running correctly otherwise? Are you able to run the system under battery only, and does it look like the system appears to be charging the battery?

TB

4 Posts

May 9th, 2015 06:00

The system runs Ok in general , no major problems and it also works fine with battery only. When plugged in again it shows the battery is being charged. Everything is more or less fine except the amber light not disappearing...

4 Posts

May 9th, 2015 08:00

One more comment - the LED turns to solid white when the battery is being charged. When it reaches 100% it turns back to solid amber and stays like this

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 15th, 2015 11:00

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  It doesn't seem like the LED is acting as it should, at least to my information.  Does anyone else reading here have an XPS 13 that acts this way?

If everything else is working correctly I am not sure that I would suggest a service,  Use the BIOS or Windows to check on the battery charge.

TB

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

May 15th, 2015 12:00

There are several battery lights on the latest model xps 13 -9343, Early 2015. See all the buttons/lights and explanations here --

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-13-9343-laptop_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf

August 29th, 2015 13:00

I am having the same issue. My battery is currently 90% charged and the front battery indicator is solid amber.

September 4th, 2016 16:00

Have any resolutions been found for this? I am currently having the same issue.

4 Posts

April 5th, 2017 09:00

I also have the same problem, did anyone find a solution?

Or did you send it to support to get it fixed? What was their reply?

Thanks

1 Message

April 26th, 2017 20:00

I have had the same problem, THE SOLUTION:

It can be solved by rebooting and accessing BOIS menu by continuously pressing F2 when the laptop first boots. then (in the BOIS menu) you select power mangement (or something in that regard ) then in power management change battery charging from adaptive to standard, and the light should go off when the laptop is shot down and not connected. I hope my writing is clear enough.

April 28th, 2017 15:00

Tried this but it did not work for me. Thanks anyway.

No Events found!