Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2015 19:00

New XPS 13 unable to disable adaptive brightness

I am unable to disable the adaptive brightness on the i5 HD 5500 1080p version of the new XPS 13.

When I view a dark page, the screen will dim, and when I view a bright page, the screen will get brighter. This is extremely annoying and all the options I've tried have not fixed this issue at all.

Turning off the enable adaptive brightness option in the advanced power settings does nothing. I have this done on all power plans.

The option for disabling it that should be in the Intel Graphics Driver does not exist.

Disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service doesn't fix it either.

I have the latest version of the Intel Graphics drivers. Uninstalling it doesn't fix it either.

Installing another operating system doesn't fix it either, so I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying issue?

4 Posts

February 7th, 2015 18:00

I'm not sure if my post got deleted by Dell or not, but i'm retyping what I had written earlier. Dell, if you are seeing this, please fix your adaptive brightness issues. This is a problem that is totally unfair to the user, who should have control over how they want to manager their brightness settings. (just like pretty much every computer on earth gives us the freedom to manage). People on a lot of forums are returning their XPS 13 laptops because of literally this 1 issue that needs to be fixed. Please provide a little transparency and at least let us know if a fix is in the works or if we're stuck with this issue for good. 

511 Posts

February 7th, 2015 21:00

Check the other thread, see if my last response there does anything. I tied that program(extended battery) back to quickset, and asked another user to try installing quickset and see if that gives him the option. I have not heard back yet however.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2015 07:00

I have tried all of this, the battery options don't work with secure boot off.

The other stuff also does not work. Why is this so complicated?

511 Posts

February 8th, 2015 14:00

Has anyone restored back to the factory settings? I know it sounds weird since it just came from the factory, but with not much on it now is the best time to try.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2015 14:00

Mine started this from the factory, took delivery in December. Has been doing it since day 1.

511 Posts

February 8th, 2015 15:00

They weren't available in December... Are you talking about the XPS 13 9343?

7 Posts

February 9th, 2015 17:00

I'm not sure what laptop that other user has, but I have the XPS 13 9343 and none of the suggestions here have worked.

511 Posts

February 9th, 2015 19:00

Even a windows reinstall did not fix the issue? Hmm.. we shall have to see what the next step will be.

1 Message

March 4th, 2015 03:00

is there any further update to this? i've followed all the steps, turned off everything i can find to do with dimming, have maxed brightness on all available settings and the screen keeps dimming

DELL SUPPORT THIS IS VERY VERY IRRITATING!!!!!

511 Posts

March 4th, 2015 05:00

No update to this. However I have not heard many more complaints, either reinstalling the OS has worked for people, or they have returned their machines.

5 Posts

April 10th, 2015 06:00

Look on AnandTech: www.anandtech.com/.../dell-xps-13-review

Look on NotebookReview: forum.notebookreview.com/.../dell-xps-13-2015-broadwell-infinity-display-owners-thread.769261

This issue is pretty awful. I got my laptop yesterday (2015 Dell XPS 13) and it's unusable for photo editing. If I can't find a fix I'll have to return it.

1 Message

April 11th, 2015 16:00

Experiencing same variable brightness issue on XPS 13 purchased this week. Has anyone resolved?

5 Posts

April 12th, 2015 05:00

I've restored factory Win 8.1, upgrade to 8.1 Pro, clean install 8.1 Pro, clean install Win 10 Preview, factory restore 8.1, upgrade Win 10 Preview. In each case I upgrade to latest drivers, tried all power settings. AND I STILL HAVE ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS!! PLEASE FIX!!!!

5 Posts

April 15th, 2015 07:00

What a waste. Technical Support ignored my emails. I can't use it like this. I've returned my laptop to Dell. It's a pity because I quite liked this laptop.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2015 02:00

Nothing posted in this thread has worked so far.  I have a replacement xps 9343 on the way because this one is experiencing the touchpad issues after updating firmware and bios (two finger scroll not responding and erratic movements, no response to small finger movements) but if the replacement still has this brightness adaptive feature I'm returning it. It's changing the brightness while scrolling through webpages. Really annoying when a page has a dark picture between a wall of text. Causes the screen to get really dark for the picture but once you scroll past it to the text it stays dark for a few seconds before getting brighter.

If enough people complain and return these laptops I'm hoping Dell will spend the money to fix these problems.

No Events found!