Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-02-2017 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

New XPS 13 unable to disable adaptive brightness

I am unable to disable the adaptive brightness on the i5 HD 5500 1080p version of the new XPS 13.

When I view a dark page, the screen will dim, and when I view a bright page, the screen will get brighter. This is extremely annoying and all the options I've tried have not fixed this issue at all.

Turning off the enable adaptive brightness option in the advanced power settings does nothing. I have this done on all power plans.

The option for disabling it that should be in the Intel Graphics Driver does not exist.

Disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service doesn't fix it either.

I have the latest version of the Intel Graphics drivers. Uninstalling it doesn't fix it either.

Installing another operating system doesn't fix it either, so I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying issue?

Replies (79)
3 Zinc

Try updating the chipset drivers, then please post back with the results.

Kristof1234, please PM me the links to the forums.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

3 Zinc

Is secure boot on or off in BIOS? Try changing it; Don't know if that will affect anything but worth a shot.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

3 Zinc

Disable secure boot, and then try this. I found this on an Intel forum (for an Inspiron 14z), try this:

When it's up and running, go to your desktop, right click on the battery icon and select "Power Options."

On the left side of the Power Options window, click on "Dell Extended Battery Life Options."

In the "Status" tab of the battery meter window, you should now see the "Remind me when Dell Intelligent Display or Dell Extended Battery Life is On". Click the settings button next to that, and uncheck enable Intel Display Power Saving Technology.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

There are no "Dell Extended Battery Life Options" - with or without secure boot enabled.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm not sure if my post got deleted by Dell or not, but i'm retyping what I had written earlier. Dell, if you are seeing this, please fix your adaptive brightness issues. This is a problem that is totally unfair to the user, who should have control over how they want to manager their brightness settings. (just like pretty much every computer on earth gives us the freedom to manage). People on a lot of forums are returning their XPS 13 laptops because of literally this 1 issue that needs to be fixed. Please provide a little transparency and at least let us know if a fix is in the works or if we're stuck with this issue for good. 

3 Zinc

Check the other thread, see if my last response there does anything. I tied that program(extended battery) back to quickset, and asked another user to try installing quickset and see if that gives him the option. I have not heard back yet however.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have tried all of this, the battery options don't work with secure boot off.

The other stuff also does not work. Why is this so complicated?

3 Zinc

Has anyone restored back to the factory settings? I know it sounds weird since it just came from the factory, but with not much on it now is the best time to try.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Mine started this from the factory, took delivery in December. Has been doing it since day 1.

3 Zinc

They weren't available in December... Are you talking about the XPS 13 9343?

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor