Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2015 19:00

New XPS 13 unable to disable adaptive brightness

I am unable to disable the adaptive brightness on the i5 HD 5500 1080p version of the new XPS 13.

When I view a dark page, the screen will dim, and when I view a bright page, the screen will get brighter. This is extremely annoying and all the options I've tried have not fixed this issue at all.

Turning off the enable adaptive brightness option in the advanced power settings does nothing. I have this done on all power plans.

The option for disabling it that should be in the Intel Graphics Driver does not exist.

Disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service doesn't fix it either.

I have the latest version of the Intel Graphics drivers. Uninstalling it doesn't fix it either.

Installing another operating system doesn't fix it either, so I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying issue?

5 Posts

April 16th, 2015 08:00

I doubt Dell even reads these forums, so they probably haven't even seen this thread!

1 Message

April 16th, 2015 15:00

Too bad. Im returning my dell because of this. ITs very very annoying. Great computer, but this flaw is so big.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2015 17:00

I'm sure there is someone at Dell reading these posts.  Each post has to be approved so someone is reading them.

1 Message

April 16th, 2015 19:00

Same problem. Joined just to let Dell know that we are upset. 

We should be able to control our own computers. 

Obviously, Dell has decided that they know better. 

Obviously, we are upset that our screens change brightness without any ability to stop it from happening. 

I too have uninstalled Dell's driver and installed Intel's driver, only to sadly learn that Dell has somehow disabled an option that by default Intel thinks we should have access to.  

I encourage everyone who has this problem to let Dell know.  Believe me, it is easier to do here than to even try to do via phone. 

1 Message

April 17th, 2015 14:00

I purchased a refurb from the Dell Outlet yesterday and just learned about this issue. I guess I should have checked before purchasing but will have to wait to see how bad it is when I receive it.

Anandtech mentioned this issue in their testing and review if anyone is interested in seeing it. They mentioned that Dell said they were looking into a way to allow the user to disable the "Content-Adaptive Backlight Control" feature. Here is the link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review/5

I'm hoping that Dell is reading this and can provide an update.

May 1st, 2015 04:00

Really annoying.

I am returning my XPS13 because of this.

May 1st, 2015 12:00

i'm using the xp13 FHD model. But i don't see my screen brightness adjusting by itself. how can i test it and is mine faulty?

May 1st, 2015 13:00

May 1st, 2015 17:00

Thanks. I could see the dell logo slowly fade in but I don't see the brightness adjusting and i don't see why is it so annoying. can someone tell me why is it annoying or if the brightness should fade or something?

May 2nd, 2015 04:00

Seeing the logo slowly fade in is the brightness - run this page on your desktop. If this does not annoy you be happy. But think of watching a movie, fast changing dark to light scenes and you miss details because of the changing brightness; think of photo editing, with automatically changing brightness you might misjudge the light in the photo, same as in video editing (...).

All we want is to have an option like in every other notebook on the market.

6 Posts

May 8th, 2015 00:00

It's not an OS/driver issue. The same behavior occurs in a minimal Linux install. The adaptive brightness is being handled at the BIOS or firmware level.

1 Message

May 13th, 2015 22:00

Agreed. I've tried different Linux distros and the problem is still there. I bought the "Developer Edition" model and it is still plagued with this issue. I'm considering returning it if a fix doesn't come out soon.

3 Posts

May 17th, 2015 19:00

Facing this issue since a month now.  Screen brightness gradually reduces to the lowest setting possible and comes back again to full brightness (my preferred setting.)   I have noticed that the fade happens when we switch to a dark page/video/image etc., and the return to full brightness happens when a 'whiter' page/video/image is on the screen.

DELL?

I have the XPS 15, had it for 4 years now, never had this issue before, but am tearing my hair because of this issue since a month or so now.  I have done everything that has been suggested on most of the forums, but nothing helps!!

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 00:00

I was just about to order an XPS13 until I saw the Anandtech review.  It sounds similar to the "local dimming" feature on LCD TVs in an attempt to improve black levels but it seems to be full screen dimming which is not a very clever idea.  Most TVs give you the option to turn off that feature as it can be quite annoying.

It's a deal breaker for me because it makes it impossible to do an accurate color calibration...which is a shame because the QHD+ screen has a decent color gamut.

June 4th, 2015 14:00

I've got the same issue with my new Inspiron 7548 with a 4k screen. Adaptive brightness that can't be disabled. Very noticeable when unplugged and I picked it up when I calibrated my screen with a colormunki display. Output dropped from 120cd/m2 to 100cd/m2 from beginning to end of calibration. Hopefully Dell will introduce a firmware update for the Inspirno model too.

No Events found!