Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2015 19:00

New XPS 13 unable to disable adaptive brightness

I am unable to disable the adaptive brightness on the i5 HD 5500 1080p version of the new XPS 13.

When I view a dark page, the screen will dim, and when I view a bright page, the screen will get brighter. This is extremely annoying and all the options I've tried have not fixed this issue at all.

Turning off the enable adaptive brightness option in the advanced power settings does nothing. I have this done on all power plans.

The option for disabling it that should be in the Intel Graphics Driver does not exist.

Disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service doesn't fix it either.

I have the latest version of the Intel Graphics drivers. Uninstalling it doesn't fix it either.

Installing another operating system doesn't fix it either, so I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying issue?

3 Posts

June 10th, 2015 08:00

The adaptive brightness feature is also driving me crazy and has me about to return my XPS 13 9343 unless at least an ETA on a BIOS update can be given if not the actual update. I cannot edit pictures on this device as I don't trust it's brightness settings.

Thanks

17 Posts

June 13th, 2015 04:00

. Dell will bring no BIOS updates for the problem. Otherwise, the Accu will not hold any more so long.
Also Windows 10 or Ubuntu Linux can change in it nothing.

Even if the Accu is not used, the adaptive brightness remains active.
400 cd / m² of brightness even in the full image mode with a white completely picture.

In the desktop mode with normal window only one brightness of 200-250 cd / m² at most.

17 Posts

June 17th, 2015 04:00

That is a fact.
Confirmed by the Dell Support.
Also this FHD display is only 350 cd / m2 maximum brightness.
Only the QHD + should ever 400cd / m2 reach.
Maximum brightness is my Full HD XPS with only 248 cd / m2.
And that's a fact and documented.

June 18th, 2015 20:00

I don't give a *** about the above I just want my monitor to stay at 120cd/m2  or whatever I want when I set it there!!! In other words I don't want a hidden Dell program deciding, arbitrarily, what the the brightness should be and not allowing me to shut it down!

17 Posts

June 19th, 2015 00:00

If you do not want then sell the XPS and come over to Apple.

July 13th, 2015 11:00

I was about to purchase the XPS 13 for school this fall until I found out about this issue. Come on Dell, please get this sorted out!

1 Message

July 21st, 2015 12:00

I would like to see this feature as well.

11 Posts

July 21st, 2015 17:00

I am also very annoyed by this. I spoke to Dell support and they told me it is a well liked  feature that will help the consumer with longer battery life and therefore is good for you blah blah.

6 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 09:00

"Good" here is subjective. The adaptive contrast makes it very difficult to watch dimly-lit movies and play dark games. I tried to play Left 4 Dead 2 on my XPS 13 the other day, and the display turned down the contrast so much that the game was nearly pitch-black, save for the HUD elements. It was utterly unplayable.

If you have Dell ProSupport, please call them and tell them you want this feature made optional. Consumer support is not likely to help.

16 Posts

Firmware A05 is out, but there is still no option to disable this "feature"!?

11 Posts

Remember, it is a feature that is good for the average customer. They don't want the user to be able to turn it off.

3 Posts

August 4th, 2015 04:00

This is a really bad bug - definitely not a feature. It's really quite ridiculous that it can't be disabled. I would use an XPS for travel/photography work but this current flaw means that's £1000 that Dell won't be getting. 

Please sort it out. 

6 Posts

August 6th, 2015 02:00

It's 2015 and this problem has been around since 2011. I'm definitely NOT buying a Dell laptop again; worst customer service I've seen in a long time.

I managed to disable it while my Inspiron 3000 laptop is plugged-in but no fix to while it's on battery mode.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2015 02:00

Dell have added this battery-saving *bug* because tech reviewers focus too much on battery life.  The only way Dell will change is if we pressure reviewers to point out this flaw loudly and often.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2015 04:00

Honestly, the solution to this problem is to just spend your money elsewhere. I decided on a Macbook Pro instead, and frankly it's a far superior machine (albeit more expensive). 

No Events found!