Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2015 19:00

New XPS 13 unable to disable adaptive brightness

I am unable to disable the adaptive brightness on the i5 HD 5500 1080p version of the new XPS 13.

When I view a dark page, the screen will dim, and when I view a bright page, the screen will get brighter. This is extremely annoying and all the options I've tried have not fixed this issue at all.

Turning off the enable adaptive brightness option in the advanced power settings does nothing. I have this done on all power plans.

The option for disabling it that should be in the Intel Graphics Driver does not exist.

Disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service doesn't fix it either.

I have the latest version of the Intel Graphics drivers. Uninstalling it doesn't fix it either.

Installing another operating system doesn't fix it either, so I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying issue?

17 Posts

August 28th, 2015 13:00

MacBook Pro and Windows 10 in boot camp.
Best solution.

1 Message

September 5th, 2015 13:00

I received my Alienware 13 a few days ago and I'm starting to regret choosing the QHD+ display. The scaling issues are really annoying, but this adaptive brightness is frustrating. This morning I met with a friend who has a MB Pro 2015 with retina (which is 13" also, but 2560x1600) and we played several titles from Netflix at the same time and it was, like I said, frustrating.

Just to be fair, when used outdoors, my panel looked slightly better, though not by the same margin of the indoors tests.

I think that all Dell systems built with this display should receive a fw upgrade to allow us to opt between battery life or image quality.

Having thought I bought a "premium" product, I could write a lot of reasons that everyone else already know, Dell included, of why this doesn't make sense, but long story short, what matters is that we should choose if enabling adaptive brightness is worth or not through our personal experience. As other systems already let their users do. Even our TV's lets us do this.

And yeah, I'm frustrated with this screen. Having seen (and spent a lot of time using) a lot of retina MacBooks so far, I was expecting a lot more from this panel. Unlike the MB retina screens, it never caused the wow effect on me.

13 Posts

September 14th, 2015 16:00

Tried to calibrate my display with a Spyder4Pro... Was impossible due to adaptive brightness...

1 Message

December 13th, 2015 06:00

Is this still an issue? Have Dell issued the firmware patch that the post marked as an answer suggests they've been working on?

6 Posts

December 14th, 2015 11:00

Apparently, the Sputnik team requested that the feature be disabled in the Skylake FHD model as well, but it was too late into development/production to be changed. So it's not all that sinister, just unfortunate.

It's not considered a problem in that the feature is working as intended. The only problem is that some people find it undesirable. Personally, I fall into that group as well so I'm equally disappointed in Dell's efforts here (or lack thereof).

Edit: Both versions of the Skylake XPS 13 have the issue. It's the Skylake XPS 15 that doesn't. I edited my post above as well.

December 14th, 2015 11:00

Disappointing that the FHD version is not fixable, but even more disappointing they chose to not fix this issue in the 2015 version. Clearly it is a problem considering they chose to issue a firmware update in the QHD version and disable this option by default in the 2015 QHD XPS 13. I nearly bought a FHD XPS 13 (had it in my cart and was partially through the checkout process) but decided against it due to the adaptive contrast issue. So happy I didn't given this new information. 

5 Posts

December 19th, 2015 12:00

I also have a display brightness issue with my Dell XPS 15. It will randomly, while plugged in or unplugged and with a full battery, dim the screen. Most the time it chooses a random brightness to change to. I have my computer set to 30% brightness and it will randomly dim to 5-8%.  I have gone in and turned off all the adaptive brightness settings to no avail. I am hoping with the rumored BIOS this issue will be fixed.

1 Message

January 17th, 2016 23:00

Dell please provide a tool to disable this unwanted feature: the screen brightness adjusts depending on the content displayed: for example when you use a black DOS window, the screen dims so that white becomes grey.

March 25th, 2016 04:00

Hey everyone,

I just found this:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=513GY

What do you think about that?

They released it yesterday! Does it fix the Adaptive Brightness Control issue?

1 Message

May 9th, 2016 15:00

Do you just DL it and unzip it and that's it? Or do you have to pick a certain file out of that zip and stick it somewhere else?

I have an XPS-15 and along with the 4k reflective screen (horrible) this brightness issue is a PITA

May 19th, 2016 11:00

I just chatted with a Dell Representative via their chat support.

He confirmed that the adaptive brightness can be changed on the FHD model as well via BIOS of the system. This would be done by their tech support team provided the user gives them access to the system. Has anyone else got a similar feedback .

May 19th, 2016 11:00

I just had a chat with a dell representative over their chat support. They have confirmed that the adaptive brightness can be turned off via BIOS on the xps 13 FHD screen models as well. The technical support would ask for access to the device and fix the issue.

Has anyone else got a similar response or managed to get the issue fixed by this method?

1 Message

June 16th, 2016 05:00

can anyone confirm this works??

1 Message

July 1st, 2016 10:00

I didn't get so far with Dell support; they still requiring access to the laptop to click on some settings...

Finally they asked me to do a video of the issue which I did: 

Here is the URL for doing the test: http://tylerwatt12.com/dc/

7 Posts

July 28th, 2016 21:00

Send video is issue, A week of back and forth with support doing driver updates and complete windows re-installs and no fix so far.

Apparently their unit in the lab doesn't show this behaviour and 'new' units don't have this problem (Mine was build late June) but they cant confirm what 'new' means. Will probably end up sending the laptop back so they can investigate.

No Events found!