Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-02-2017 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

New XPS 13 unable to disable adaptive brightness

I am unable to disable the adaptive brightness on the i5 HD 5500 1080p version of the new XPS 13.

When I view a dark page, the screen will dim, and when I view a bright page, the screen will get brighter. This is extremely annoying and all the options I've tried have not fixed this issue at all.

Turning off the enable adaptive brightness option in the advanced power settings does nothing. I have this done on all power plans.

The option for disabling it that should be in the Intel Graphics Driver does not exist.

Disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service doesn't fix it either.

I have the latest version of the Intel Graphics drivers. Uninstalling it doesn't fix it either.

Installing another operating system doesn't fix it either, so I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying issue?

Replies (79)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm not sure what laptop that other user has, but I have the XPS 13 9343 and none of the suggestions here have worked.

3 Zinc

Even a windows reinstall did not fix the issue? Hmm.. we shall have to see what the next step will be.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

is there any further update to this? i've followed all the steps, turned off everything i can find to do with dimming, have maxed brightness on all available settings and the screen keeps dimming

DELL SUPPORT THIS IS VERY VERY IRRITATING!!!!!

3 Zinc

No update to this. However I have not heard many more complaints, either reinstalling the OS has worked for people, or they have returned their machines.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Look on AnandTech: www.anandtech.com/.../dell-xps-13-review

Look on NotebookReview: forum.notebookreview.com/.../dell-xps-13-2015-broadwell-infinity-display-owners-thread.769261

This issue is pretty awful. I got my laptop yesterday (2015 Dell XPS 13) and it's unusable for photo editing. If I can't find a fix I'll have to return it.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Experiencing same variable brightness issue on XPS 13 purchased this week. Has anyone resolved?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I've restored factory Win 8.1, upgrade to 8.1 Pro, clean install 8.1 Pro, clean install Win 10 Preview, factory restore 8.1, upgrade Win 10 Preview. In each case I upgrade to latest drivers, tried all power settings. AND I STILL HAVE ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS!! PLEASE FIX!!!!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

What a waste. Technical Support ignored my emails. I can't use it like this. I've returned my laptop to Dell. It's a pity because I quite liked this laptop.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Nothing posted in this thread has worked so far.  I have a replacement xps 9343 on the way because this one is experiencing the touchpad issues after updating firmware and bios (two finger scroll not responding and erratic movements, no response to small finger movements) but if the replacement still has this brightness adaptive feature I'm returning it. It's changing the brightness while scrolling through webpages. Really annoying when a page has a dark picture between a wall of text. Causes the screen to get really dark for the picture but once you scroll past it to the text it stays dark for a few seconds before getting brighter.

If enough people complain and return these laptops I'm hoping Dell will spend the money to fix these problems.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I doubt Dell even reads these forums, so they probably haven't even seen this thread!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor