nm90069
1 Copper

RE: New XPS 15 (9530 - 512GB SSD) - does not wake up from sleep when lid opened if plugged in

I've not made a big effort to research this, but I've had similar issues (and well another quirk -- the wireless card borks on sleep - I just disable/reenable it and it's fine). I don't know about the lid open, because I rarely leave it in that state, but if I close the lid, when waking from sleep it just boots (I've tried putting it to sleep before closing the lid, and that sees to help about 40% of the time) Because it's an SSD, it's not that annoying but I don't like a system that isn't completely stable.

Because of the network adapter issue, I'm wondering if there's something going on with disk sleep, and if it's an Intel software issue)? Did the tech people give you any insight? I was thinking of doing a clean install as well, but if that didn't remedy the problem, not thrilled about making that effort.

0 Kudos
cynicaldoctor
1 Copper

RE: New XPS 15 (9530 - 512GB SSD) - does not wake up from sleep when lid opened if plugged in

No joy - multiple clean installs did not work. I wouldn't bother. I never had problems with the wireless card though.

Ended up sending the laptop back for a full refund.

I agree, it is either an Intel software issue or a hardware issue. I suspect the latter as it takes a few weeks to start acting up and then a clean install doesn't cure it.

Dell did not give me any answers. I did ask if they could let me know if they discovered the cause of the problem on the returned machine but they say it wasn't possible.

Having now moved to a Macbook Pro - I am glad I did.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
gedoll
1 Nickel

Have the same issue with my daughter's new XPS15 (9530, xmas).  Whether you shut the lid or select Sleep from Win 8.1 - the system is dead when you re-open the lid.  That is the power button is not flashing (typical sleep mode notification) and there isn't a wake up response to any key presses I can find.  So to restart you have to press Power button - which cold starts Windows.  You get the tiny message display that Windows wasn't shutdown properly (repair) before Win8 officially starts.  Just updated latest drivers and A08 bios - no change.

I will be very unhappy if this is not addressed - a small thing but ongoing annoyance that's not supposed to be there in a premium machine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trollie
1 Copper

Hi there,

had the same issue since buying, completely destroyed the ssd trying to fix the problems, trying to diagnose whether this was hardware or software, reinstalling windows, formatting drives... 3 days later I go into bios (A08) and change a setting "USB Wake-Up Support" or something similar to that. Change this to enabled so now when I close the lid and open it again, a press of the power button wakes it up again. I don't ever expect that opening the lid will wake it up from sleep mode however.

So a half fix to the problem I guess for me anyway because I would have to hard reset the laptop to switch on after sleep mode is initiated before.

EDIT: ALSO, keyboard and mouse inputs wake up the laptop now too, so it seems so much closer to a perfect fix. Hope it helps.

dellxpsL502X1
1 Copper

I have the exact same issue with the new XPS15 (9530). It started after approx. 3 months of owning the machine. If it is put it to sleep, it will not wake up unless you do a hard reset. I have re-installed all software on the machine with no change in the issue.

This machine is a replacement unit from Dell as my old XPS(L502X) was faulty. It took them over 6 months and 5 motherboard replacements to admit there was an issue with the old laptop so I'm probably going to bite my lip on this one and accept I have a faulty laptop and just avoid all Dell products in future.

For those that bought this "premium" machine; good luck with Dell technical support, try not to tear all your hair out.

0 Kudos
gggeek
1 Copper

I also had problems with the network card not hooking up to the wifi after going to sleep/hibernation (win 8.1 64bit, dell xps15 from sept 2014).

I found that quite bothersome, as I move the laptop at least daily between home and office.

I then updated the wifi drivers using the std. Intel ones (cant remember the exact version, sorry) , and with that I found a workaround: disable+reenable the card after hibernation.

I have updated once again with the latest intel drivers one week ago (Wireless_17.13.11_s64.exe), and so far it seems that the problem might be fixed.

Otoh I do have occasional bsods when coming back from sleep with a 'hdd not found' message. Not sure if it is driver, firmware or hw related - a colleague of mine with the same laptop said he never has got the problem... I found online a fw update which should apply to the PM851 hdd (http://www.dell.com/support/home/al/en/aldhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0NXHH) but did not apply it yet as it seems to need a full disk reformat

0 Kudos
robdav
1 Copper

I'm another person with this exact problem. I've had the laptop (XPS 15 9530, Late 2013) three and a half months and two days ago it started not waking up from standby, only a hard power off and on again would get it back up and running. Nothing in the Windows 8.1 Pro event log to go on at all, literally no events. I have tried a clean re-install of Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit and all chipset/drivers and exact same thing. Will heed the advice in your posts and push for a full refund. It's a shame as I like it as a laptop although it has been problematic all along with certain USB devices thinking they were connected then disconnected/connected/disconnected etc when they have been plugged in all the time. Won't spend any more time troubleshooting it as seems to be hardware issue that Dell need to fix. Will update after speaking to Dell technical support!

0 Kudos
robdav
1 Copper

So I rang Dell, the lady in India was very good. I explained I had already tried re-installing Windows 8.1 as I wasn’t prepared to go through that. She tried changing some power management settings in Windows but I tested it again and the laptop would still not wake from sleep. I emailed her back and explained it wasn’t fixed. She then arranged for an engineer to come and visit (next day) and replace the motherboard. The engineer, who was also very good (from a third party) has been today and replaced the motherboard with a reconditioned one. I tested both the USB port and the sleep issue while he was here and both problems were fixed! However no sooner as he’d left I plugged my Android phone in again to test it and it was back to connected/disconnected/connected/disconnected etc. It is still waking from sleep properly though and I have changed the power management settings back to default. I suspect however that in a month or three the sleep issue will be back and I will then be wanting a refund and will go back to buying Lenovo! Will update in three months, hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos
wizcomp150
1 Copper

I have the same sleep mode problem with all Dell laptops I have used for the last 15 years. I was so busy that I had never bother to investigate until today. I just got this Dell XPS 15 for barely a week and have higher expectation for this expensive machine. I was planning to use this machine both at home and at work and counting on the sleep mode to save time from waiting for the machine to shut down and reboot. Very disappointed to find the same sleep problem again. I hope I have read the comments at this website before I had purchased this laptop. I think this problem may have to do with hardware and Windows and other 3rd party software.

My Dell XPS 15 will not boot up or resume for sleep mode if I leave the power connected and/or leave the wireless mouse USB connected. I have wasted too much time on this sleep problem that I am not going to waste more time, have a lot word need to get done.

I just go back to my old solution - do not let the laptop go into sleep mode by changing all power setting to never. When I need to travel to a different place, I will put it to hibernate. I tried HP and Lenovo laptops for a short time but not crazing about them. When I need to buy a laptop to replace my old laptops which are all more than 5 years old, I read the comment that the Dell XPS 15 is compatible to the Apple and have good performance, so I decided to get this expansive machine so that I can work on the same machine at work and at home. Disappointed.

I did not have time to test out every feature of this new laptop yet. So far I liked the touch screen, the display quality and the backlit keyboard. The keyboard works fine. I hope the battery will last long enough for my work schedule and habits since I turned off most of power saving features due to the sleep mode problem.

I am wondering who else uses the Dell XPS 15 and does not have the sleep mode problem. Please let me know if you do not have sleep mode problem.

0 Kudos
wizcomp150
1 Copper

Just updated the Intel Smart Connect Technology driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23109) as recommend by Dell support self-diagnosis website.

I noticed that settings for close lid and power button were reset back to default setting (sleep) after the update so I decided to test out the sleep mode again by simply closing the lid for a minute and open it. Nothing came on by itself until I pressed on the power button. The screen switched to an Internet browser screen (I forgot which one, I had both IE and Chrome opened) every time I resume the laptop even though I closed the lid with either OneNote or MS Word. But at least it wake up and resume after pressing the power button now. It does not wake up like the Mac or Chrome book which resume almost instantly to where you left off exactly.

I also tried with the power connected and with my wireless mouse USB stay connected. It works now, but still not as expected.

It seems like the problem have to do with Intel Smart Connect Technology. I will post again next week to update any changes. Hope this will help someone with the same problem. I am way behind with my work now.

My laptop is Dell XPS 15 (9530, Late 2013). Probably there are new versions of the XPS 15 but I am getting the old "lemon". Today is April 26, 2015 and I just received this laptop for less than 10 days.

We need reply from someone at Dell to clarify this sleep problem. Should Dell recalls all the old machines, apply the fixes before selling to customers? Not all customers are knowledgeable to talk about driver updates and troubleshooting hardware/software by themselves. And for us who are somewhat knowledgeable, we have to spend at least a day to troubleshoot the problem ourselves because Dell did not openly advise its customers about this potential problem. I think Intel is responsible too.

Hope this help someone.