Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2015 14:00

New XPS 15 (9550) - WIFI issues

Hi,

I have a new XPS 15 -(9550) - Windows 10 Pro

I am getting issues with the wifi connection dropping intermittently.

I have another two other dell laptops and the wifi connection is rock steady.

I've updated the wifi drivers to the latest on the dell site  Communications_Driver_NYN84_WN32_1.519.0.0_A01.EXE

I have also flashed the bios as per the dell site:

XPS_9550_1.0.7.exe

Finally I have removed the wifi device drivers completely and reinstalled

However my wifi connection still drops. The only way to re-instate is to switch the wifi off on the laptop then back on again.

Please can you help?

January 31st, 2016 08:00

It's definitely a hardware issue with that card.  Maybe a future driver update will fix it.  I took it upon myself to swap the Dell Wireless Card 3x3 with the Intel 8260 card 2x2 and haven't seen that issue since.

1 Message

February 11th, 2016 13:00

I will try what DANMC85 wrote. I have ordered the same card. I noticed extremely packet loss when Bluetooth is connected to a device (headset in my case) and then my connection was always lost. Sorry for my bad english writing :-) I hope the Intel 8260 will work flawlessly.

1 Message

February 15th, 2016 05:00

Device: Dell XPS 9550
Driver: Version 1.400.66.0,A01

Since a few weeks, we use a forty Dell XPS 15 9550 notebooks. We having the devices re-installed with Windows 8.1 and with this we immediately experience problems with the WiFi connection (Packet Loss, unresponsive network adapter).

We were able to solve the problems with the installation of an older driver (Version 1.400.31.0, A00) which is also available on the download page.

Downloads

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 25th, 2016 18:00

Thanks for the suggestion - I went ahead and did the same thing. Ordered a new Intel 8260 card off amazon and just got it installed. So far, wireless is working great. We'll see how reliable it is in the coming months, but it's starting off well.

Just to echo what others have said, I've had intermittent issues with the wifi adapter in my XPS 15 laptop that I purchased in Dec 2015. Occasionally, when I restart or wake from sleep, the wifi adapter cannot be found by the system. When this would happen, I would have to restart again - sometimes this would fix it on the first attempt, other times it would take multiple restarts before becoming active again. I've had at least 2 occurrences where it wouldn't be active even after 10 or so repeated restart attempts (I eventually had to give up and just not use the laptop anymore that night).

I'm not sure if it's a bad device or just bad software. Either way, it wasn't worth my time trying to troubleshoot an intermittent issue with Dell support, so I just went the route of replacing the wifi adapter myself with the aforementioned Intel adapter. For anyone looking to open up the bottom plate, it takes a Torx T5 screwdriver bit for the screws (along with the 2 Philips screws under the middle logo plate).

For a $1500 premium laptop, I don't think I should have to resort to updating shoddy hardware, but oh well. It would be interesting to find out if many of the other owners have the same issues (and if Dell ever issues a recall on the part).

By the way, does anyone know what the 3rd gray cable is used for on the current Dell wifi card? My replacement Intel card doesn't use a 3rd cable, so I wasn't sure if I was missing anything by not having this cable connected. Looks like Bluetooth is working fine, so I can't see anything missing.

February 25th, 2016 19:00

FYI, Dell Part Number for the Intel Wireless 8260 M.2 Card is: 8XG1T

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 (M.2), WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac MIMO 2x2, Bluetooth 4.1

February 25th, 2016 19:00

That third cable is for another send/receive bandwidth stream, technically the dell wireless card is faster and can bond more bandwidth. Known as MIMO in the wireless world.  That Grey cable is unused with the intel board.

The intel board also does support Miracast and WiDi which is nice, you can wireless display your PC screen on many newer smart tvs without any extra hardware. I know it works on my Samsung TV.

Didn't know they sold them on amazon, got to be careful of china fakes. These wireless cards are a huge china clone market... anyways I got Dell to send me one for free due to the issues I was having, haven't had a wireless issue yet. Although I did notice the Dell card had slightly better range, but not by much.  - FYI the dell card is made by Broadcom.

4 Posts

March 15th, 2016 07:00

Not to mention that because of this we also lost Intel WiDI  (Intel wireless display) compatibility, so remote display does not work properly. Once again, thanks Dell, keep up the good job on saving money with *** components...

I will change mu WiFi card to Intel 8260, everyone says it works great with this laptop.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2016 10:00

Does your Bluetooth still function correctly? I suppose it isn't a huge deal to me, but I'm curious. I'm probably going to do the swap as I can not keep a connection in my room for more than a minute. I just hate to open up a brand new computer...

1 Message

April 21st, 2016 06:00

I also have the XPS 15 9550 with Broadcom 1830 Wireless card.

I experienced same problem as you guys, however, the issues only occur when I am on my home network. Tried all of the above solutions except changing the wireless card but nothing worked. That is, until I noticed that WPS was activated in my router. So I tried to disable WPS, and since then, I have not had any connection drops.

So it seems the WiFi driver has trouble dealing with WPS enabled networks.

2 Posts

September 20th, 2016 13:00

I am still having problems with intermittent slow wifi performance. My other devices don't have this problem.

1 Message

October 24th, 2016 16:00

I just had to return my system back to factory settings AGAIN because I keep having problems with my wifi connection.  It seems that every time an update is installed on the system (not sure if it is triggered with Windows updates, Dell updates and/or both) but as soon as it starts installing updates the wifi gets progressively more sketchy until it reaches the point where it just spits out "can't connect to network" over and over again and it takes forever attempting to log in.  I don't know what to do.  I know very little about computers but it can't be the modem/router (hardware) what have you on the laptop that is defective or I wouldn't be able to log in now (when I restore to factory settings) but I don't know how to stop it messing up when it upgrades or what is causing it.  I am so disappointed.  I have a couple of other very inexpensive laptops laying around and don't have any connectivity issues with them.  I was given this laptop XPS 15 (9550) last year and I have babied it maybe putting in max a whole 100 hours total on it since I got it cuz it is a pretty expensive piece of technology...all to find out that I am constantly frustrated by the internet issue.  I can't believe I am going to be constantly having to go back to factory settings that is ridiculous.  So here I go again....restored, and slowly adding things back....oh, I am such a newbie that I never even dreamt that a laptop would not have an Ethernet port!!!! When my wifi connection kept failing I went looking to direct connect so maybe tech support could get in my system and figure it out and lo and behold....first laptop I have ever owned without an Ethernet port....oh well, now going to go buy an Ethernet to usb adapter so that when it craps out again I will at least have an option to direct connect it to my network. Please...any ideas would be helpful....but has to be in easy terms so I don't get lost.  Thanks

1 Message

February 10th, 2017 08:00

Same issue with the 9560

February 14th, 2017 17:00

My XPS 15  wifi problem was different - the Wifi card disappeared when the laptop woke up from sleep and I had to reboot to make it reappear..  For other reasons I purchased USB adapters to Ethernet, both USB 3, and USB C.  The USB C appears to be faster than the USB 3.  I think they were around $50.  

I set my XPS 15 to hibernate instead of sleep and I haven't noticed the problem recently.  I love the laptop; it is almost as fast as my desktop.

May 24th, 2017 11:00

Hello Everyone,

I had the same issue with my just unboxed Dell XPS 9550,

The solution is very easy, please fallow this next few simple steps:

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Scroll to Network adapters ( point the mouse there it should show Dell Wireless card)

3. Right click the dell wireless card and chose PROPERTIES.

4.A box will pop up. Chose Advanced,  then scroll to Minimum power consumption ( Under property colimn)

5. Set thia Minmum power consumption VALUE as disabled.

thats it.

Enjoy your XPS

1 Message

July 25th, 2017 19:00

I've installed latest version of the wifi driver (1.566.0.0, A05) and the problem seems fixed!! I'll continue testing it to confirm it.

The problem was happening with my home wifi, after suspend and with driver (1.519.0.0, A01) as reported by the PO

No Events found!