WalterPG
1 Nickel

RE: New XPS 15 (9550) - WIFI issues

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem.  4 desktops and my old Toshiba laptop work just fine, but if I'm not in the same room as my router with my new Inspiron 5559, I'm getting intermittent disconnects.  My router is wireless-N, so I've ordered a wireless-AC one that should be here tomorrow.  I've already disabled sleep mode, so I hope the new router works better.  This is a time consuming frustrating problem!  -(

0 Kudos
kirkd
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

You could try channels on the router. There are utilities which help you pick the least used channels. This helps when interference is due to other wireless appliances, but may nof be able to solve the microwave. I have never heard of a microwave issue. Po erhaps you should get an RF meter and check for a radiation leak. With agn routers, disabling the "n" function sometimes helps disconnects. Look in the Advanced tab in the Wireless section of the Device Manager.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
WalterPG
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

It's been working just fine for me since I turned off sleep mode.  I also changed the power options for Wireless Adapter Selttings to Maximum Performance.  I'm still using my TP-Link wireless-N router, and this thing's been flawless for the last 4 hours with streaming audio (Pandora) IE and Firefox all running continuously.  Time will tell but I believe those tweaks have made the difference.

It's nice to try to "save the planet from climate change" if you can do it without causing all kinds of grief.  But if you try to do this, you need to test and make @#$% SURE it's not causing more problems than it potentially saves!  Mr. Dell needs reminding of this.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have a similar but different issue.  When my two-week old XPS 15 9550 sleeps while the wireless is connected, when it wakes the wireless driver cannot be found - as if there were no wireless card.  Is there a fix for this? 

0 Kudos
volker_schmidt
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same problem here.

Even when I shutdown the laptop, sometimes the device just disappears.

The device manager in win10 shows that the device cannot start:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Not sure if this is power related, as it works for 5-10 minutes and then stops working.

0 Kudos
McNeill.Daniel
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

It's definitely a hardware issue with that card.  Maybe a future driver update will fix it.  I took it upon myself to swap the Dell Wireless Card 3x3 with the Intel 8260 card 2x2 and haven't seen that issue since.

abi77er
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I will try what DANMC85 wrote. I have ordered the same card. I noticed extremely packet loss when Bluetooth is connected to a device (headset in my case) and then my connection was always lost. Sorry for my bad english writing :-) I hope the Intel 8260 will work flawlessly.

0 Kudos
misluct
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Device: Dell XPS 9550
Driver: Version 1.400.66.0,A01

Since a few weeks, we use a forty Dell XPS 15 9550 notebooks. We having the devices re-installed with Windows 8.1 and with this we immediately experience problems with the WiFi connection (Packet Loss, unresponsive network adapter).

We were able to solve the problems with the installation of an older driver (Version 1.400.31.0, A00) which is also available on the download page.

Downloads

Tags (3)
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion - I went ahead and did the same thing. Ordered a new Intel 8260 card off amazon and just got it installed. So far, wireless is working great. We'll see how reliable it is in the coming months, but it's starting off well.

Just to echo what others have said, I've had intermittent issues with the wifi adapter in my XPS 15 laptop that I purchased in Dec 2015. Occasionally, when I restart or wake from sleep, the wifi adapter cannot be found by the system. When this would happen, I would have to restart again - sometimes this would fix it on the first attempt, other times it would take multiple restarts before becoming active again. I've had at least 2 occurrences where it wouldn't be active even after 10 or so repeated restart attempts (I eventually had to give up and just not use the laptop anymore that night).

I'm not sure if it's a bad device or just bad software. Either way, it wasn't worth my time trying to troubleshoot an intermittent issue with Dell support, so I just went the route of replacing the wifi adapter myself with the aforementioned Intel adapter. For anyone looking to open up the bottom plate, it takes a Torx T5 screwdriver bit for the screws (along with the 2 Philips screws under the middle logo plate).

For a $1500 premium laptop, I don't think I should have to resort to updating shoddy hardware, but oh well. It would be interesting to find out if many of the other owners have the same issues (and if Dell ever issues a recall on the part).

By the way, does anyone know what the 3rd gray cable is used for on the current Dell wifi card? My replacement Intel card doesn't use a 3rd cable, so I wasn't sure if I was missing anything by not having this cable connected. Looks like Bluetooth is working fine, so I can't see anything missing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
McNeill.Daniel
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

That third cable is for another send/receive bandwidth stream, technically the dell wireless card is faster and can bond more bandwidth. Known as MIMO in the wireless world.  That Grey cable is unused with the intel board.

The intel board also does support Miracast and WiDi which is nice, you can wireless display your PC screen on many newer smart tvs without any extra hardware. I know it works on my Samsung TV.

Didn't know they sold them on amazon, got to be careful of china fakes. These wireless cards are a huge china clone market... anyways I got Dell to send me one for free due to the issues I was having, haven't had a wireless issue yet. Although I did notice the Dell card had slightly better range, but not by much.  - FYI the dell card is made by Broadcom.

0 Kudos