Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2009 00:00

New XPS 1645 Crashes constantly!

Hi,

My new Studio XPS 1645 was just delivered 1-day ago, and after about 8 hours of use, it keeps crashing constantly. The pc remains froozen, monitor on, lights on, but no response at all. I just ran the Dell support tool, and all the test were passed. Please I need help, is there something wrong? Maybe a defective hardrive or motherboard?

Thanks,

539 Posts

November 11th, 2009 04:00

When it freezes does the capslock light up when pressed?

If not - CPU is locked up / frozen.

If so rush to DELL instantly, possibly hardware related like bad ram, connections, MOBO etc

if not (capslock light works) it's software related -  possibly wrong driver etc.

6 Posts

November 12th, 2009 08:00

I've spent several hours with the dell representatives, and after re-formatting my computer and bringing it to the original state (system restore) but unfortunatly it keeps crashing constantly. Any other suggestions?

539 Posts

November 12th, 2009 08:00

When it's frozen does the capslock light up when pressed?

If so and system is restored to original state, most likely it's a hardware problem.

To rule out a software problem fore-good, try running a free OS. (no harddisk install needed)

If that runs perfectly, the problem is Windows and windows only.

If that one crashes also - chances are it's hardware related.

If hardware related and crashes are random - first thing to check is memory - reseat / swap the memory modules and try again.

If it crashes on half the memory (if possible) try the other half.

If crashing stops - it's memory

If crashing doesn't stop - MOBO replacement

3 Posts

November 12th, 2009 10:00

I have a smililar problem with my brand new XPS 1340 (seems like the same issue).  Tech support said it was a bad hard drive and a new HD is on the way.

6 Posts

November 12th, 2009 12:00

My computer keeps crashing again, nothing works haha!

Dell is going to replace my system with a new one... It took about 7 hours over the phone to get it done!

Really dissapointed with the quality of the computer, they believe is a problem with the hard drive and MOBO. No problem with the memory.

6 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 17:00

I am having the same problems but Dell will not exchange the system.

9 Posts

November 30th, 2009 08:00

I seem to be having the same problem.  Random freezes with no apparent reason.  It's happend about 6 times since I recieved my system on 11/18/09.  I have to unplug and pull the battery to fix it (ctrl-alt-deleat doesn't work).  I updated bios, video driver and quickset to no effect.  I guess it's time to do all the drivers and call tech support.  Has anyone found a solution?

9 Posts

December 1st, 2009 17:00

What type of user account are you running out of?  I have a feeling that my problems are from running as a standard user instead of administrator but I'm not sure yet because my freezes only happen about twice a week.  I'd have to run as administrator all the time to see if it goes away, which is something I don't want to do yet.

6 Posts

December 1st, 2009 17:00

Wow guys!

I just received my exchanged system (new) from Dell in return of my old one which had the freeze problems. Well, guess what, it happened AGAIN and AGAIN.... The computer freezes again.

What should I do??????

I am really dissapointed.

6 Posts

December 4th, 2009 16:00

Like I mentioned earlier, very dissapointed with Dell systems.

I am running on a fresh computer, nothing installed at all, just whatever it came pre-factory installed. No usb mouse or anything. It has crashed once already!

9 Posts

December 5th, 2009 13:00

How much RAM do you have?  There are a few of us with a 4GB + 2GB mix that are having the same problem here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=433085&page=121

December 5th, 2009 14:00

I have the exact same problem the original poster described.

When it freezes does the capslock light up when pressed?

Tried this during a freeze and the CAPS LOCK didn't light up.

Additionally to define the freeze a bit more (this is on Windows 7) - the computer stays on with no changes in the lights and the screen stays exactly the same with a frozen mouse cursor as well. As others have mentioned, CTRL + ALT + DELETE doesnt work. The only thing that still responds on my machine is the backlit keyboard (the keyboard stays unlit when not in use, when you start typing the lighting fades on). Memory checks and dell diagnostic tools all report that the hardware is fine.

My configuration is the i7 Q820, Windows 7 Ultimate, 6GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, 15.6 " 1080p Display

Will be following this one up with Dell soon.

4 Posts

and i also am a 6gb owner.. my memory is 4+2 hynix/samsung mix ... this is starting to have me concerned.. i lock up 2 x a day at least... i have done everything possible.. re-installed win7 tried vista and linux...... i havent tried tech support as i allready hate customer service so much i have no desire to speak to dell unless i need to...I wonder if this will be a recall issue and if so what could be done?

9 Posts

So you're another 6 giger.. hmm...

So you're another 6 giger.. hmm...

Yep. 1x2GB+1x4GB. Is there any easy way to find the memory manufacturer through windows 7? have tried searching around control panel and forums but cant find anything. Also dont want to be opening the case up; want to make sure i dont put m warranty at any risk

[EDIT]

Found using PC Wizard - http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php. 4GB is Samsung, 2GB is Elpida

No Events found!