Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

April 25th, 2017 03:00

New XPS 9560 Headache. No solution.

XPS 9560 : 2 months of dell and no solution.

Two months ago I received my new XPS 15 9560. When I first booted up, it hanged on me and gave me some BSOD's. I figured that it was a drivers, so I did a clean install of windows and finally got it stable. Next, I noticed that the power jack was a little loose. It seems to be put together pretty flimsy, so I caled Dell NL, they send a technician over the next day. He told me it was Ok, so I left it.

A few days later, after taking the laptop from my work place to my home (where it is a little more quiet), I noticed some annoying buzzing sounds /static noises coming from the laptop. This would happen when scrolling the screen and pressing a mouse button. But that's not all. This buzzing /
static turns was starting to turn into a high pitch whining noise as well. I had not had the time to work much on the laptop while I was at work, so that's why I probably didn't notice the buzzing earlier.

The buzzing / static noise is always there and the high pitch whine comes up regurarly, regardless of CPU load or if the battery is plugged in. This is called coil whine and it is a result of cheap components (capacitors vibrating) and / or hardware design faults (I have a tech. degree, so I know what I talk about).

Check the video out here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YHBf6abqnPR1JSWUVCMUxNek0

On day 16/17 ( I called Dell NL about this and they offered to replace the motherboards. At the same time however, they also told me that they didn't know if replacing motherboards would solve the problem, keep it more or less the same, or make it even worse. Of course, I then refused (wouldn't you?) and demanded either a refund or a new non-refurbished replacement. Dell refused both, because it was a few days out of the 14 day return window. So: the machine has issues and Dell know's that repairs don't  solve the problem (just hit or miss) and at the same time won't take the machine back or replace it? Are you kidding me? Then I figured that Dell NL won't help me, I'd try Dell Global (@dellcares). After telling them my story, they seemed concerned that they would 'resolve' this situation. I had hope and for a while I actually believed it. All they do is keep me on a leash and 'buy time'. For more than a month now, I have been whining, shouting and begging for a refund or replacement and I am still waiting for an 'update' as I write this. But I'm done waiting.

To make a long story short:
I've paid 2000 euro's, for a headache. The laptop has issues and  Dell don't want to take it back, they won't replace it and have no solutions for in regard of repairs. I thought I had rights as a consumer.

Lex

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 26th, 2017 11:00

Per the contract you had to agree to when purchasing from Dell NL =
* A refund is only allowed inside the first 15 days from the invoice date
* Dell will offer either parts replacement or a refurbished like for like model exchange

Based on the video, the ambient noise is well within our manufacturer specifications. If in the USA, I would not offer parts or refurbished system exchange based on that video. You should take advantage of Dell NL offer to replace the motherboard. If that does not fix it, ask for the refurbished like for like model exchange.

7 Posts

April 26th, 2017 12:00

Chris,

It's strange how you say that the ambient noise is 'within specs' ... The laptop is whining as you can hear clearly. That is NOT within specs of any laptop.  Honestly, I am tired of having my intelligence insulted.

Lex

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 26th, 2017 16:00

The manufacturer sets the dB specification. We just adhere to it. As I suggested, take advantage of Dell NL offer to replace the motherboard. If that does not fix it, ask for the refurbished like for like model exchange.

7 Posts

April 26th, 2017 17:00

Anyone who listens to the audio can hear it's not normal. If you can't  or don't want to hear that, it's your own conscious decision or poor judgement. So whatever Chris ..  

No Events found!