Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2017 00:00

New XPS15 9560 Battery issue

I have a relatively new (less than a month old) XPS15 9560 with the 97Whr battery.

I'm not sure how much the battery should lose charge overnight, but I've been losing around 10% in one night.

The whole system is completly powered off with no incoming from AC power at night, but still connected are the following items:

1 x USB connected to a Logitech unifying receiver for my wireless keyboard (which I switch off at night)

1 x HDMI to 1 LCD screen

1 x USB C dongle (Dell DA200) via HDMI to a 2nd LCD screen

1 x audio out to speakers

I did a test where I disconnected every connection. The laptop battery remained at near full capacity overnight.

So something is drawing power even though the system is completely powered down at night.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

2K Posts

May 5th, 2017 00:00

Hi YYMCALVIN,

Disconnect the devices connected to the USB port when you power off the system, since the USB port enables the system power distribution circuit to drive 3V and 5V current. 

This is similar to what is mentioned in this article - http://dell.to/2q5KWXa

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

1 Message

October 1st, 2017 05:00

I have a very new Dell XPS15 - 9560 which seems to loose a lot more overnight, like more than 20%. I to do a complete Shut Down each night. I have a genuine Dell USB-C Adapter (DA200) with a Microsoft USB keyboard and a Dell 27 inch monitor connected via the standard VGA cable connected to this Dell USB-C Adapter. This Dell USB-C adapter is left plugged in all the time on the left USB port of my Dell XPS15 near the power connection. Why does it loose so much battery when it's supposed to completely switched OFF??? I have Windows 10 fully patched, all the Dell updates have been applied, and the BIOS [F2] check shows the battery to be healthy. What have I done wrong?

380 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 02:00

How do you shut it down? Do you use the standard "Start menu" > "Power" > "Shut down". That does not totally shut the system down. You can check this MS site for more information:

msdn.microsoft.com/.../aa373229(v=vs.85).aspx

Try one of these methods to see if it improves things:

1. Turn off "Fast startup", or

2. Set up a shortcut on your desktop that contains the following command: "shutdown.exe /s /t 0"

[that's "shutdown.exe" space "/s" space "/t" space zero]. Execute that instead of the standard shutdown and see if that helps.

Both of these options get you to the "S5" power state referred to in the above article. It requires a reboot of the system to start as nothing is saved from any previous session and therefore cannot resume from it.

JohnD

11 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 06:00

Since my initial post, there have been some changes to my system setup:

When I power off (Shut down at Windows Start), I only remove my 4 port powered USB hub from the USB port located on the left of the laptop. A USB powered laptop cooler, Logitech wireless dongle, external HDD and a USB powered Blu-Ray external writer are connected to the hub.

The DA200 USB-C remains, HDMI remains, audio-out remains.

Battery power level remains unchanged overnight.

I suppose you can try removing individual items connected to the USB ports to see which is drawing power while the laptop is powered off.

The USB port was drawing power for the wireless dongle for my case (even though it wasn't running).

No Events found!