Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2009 17:00

New hard drive but same capacity. Need step by step help

Its been 4 months and I have yet to put in my new hard drive. I posted this thread before and while I did get some help I ran into more problems. I spent money and time trying to install the hard drive. Some suggested some websites to read and I ran into more problems. I had problems where I used some programs  to try and fix the problem and I had to make a boot disk which didn't work. I used about 25 blank cds trying to make a boot disk and none worked. I tried booting from a usb and didn't work. I tried to use partition magic and Acronis disk director none worked. I need someone to help me step by step on what to do and how to make a boot disk.  In the bottom is the copy and paste from the thread I did last time.

"I recently bought a brand new 320gb Hitachi hard drive to replace the old one which is 100gb. So what I did was use Acronis True Image and backed it up as an img file and installed it into the new hard drive without any problems. Everything was exactly the same including the capacity storage. I tried to expand the partition using Acronis Disk Director and it still said that 100gb was the max capacity. I just deleted  all the partitions and try to reinstall windows and start from scratch. And when I tried to reinstall Windows xp the unallocated partition is still 93gb. I have an Insipron E1705 laptop. What can I do to get full capacity of the 320gb I'm suppose to get?"

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 28th, 2009 17:00

You CANNOT simply clone the existing drive because of the Media Direct partition.

To fix the truncated-drive problem, see the first link below. 

To find out why  you cannot clone the existing drive, see the second link below.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=167401

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm

7 Posts

September 28th, 2009 21:00

I know it's the Media Direct partition. They sent me there already. But what I want to know is how do I use the programs to fix it. I tried using the  Hitachi Feature Tool and the rest of the suggested programs to fix it but I can't seem to make the boot disk work for any of them. I need to know how to make one. The only cd creation software I have is Sonic Record Now. I really don't want to spend money on buying Nero so I gotta work with what I have.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 29th, 2009 04:00

It's not clear what you're claiming didn't work - did you not successfully burn the ISO image to a CD?

To do this, open Sonic and choose "burn image" under Copy.  You can also use the Magic Boot Disc:

http://hddguru.com/download/software/Magic-Boot-Disk/Magic_Boot_Disk_ISO_v2.0.zip

7 Posts

September 29th, 2009 06:00

Ok when I download the zip file, do I make the zip file an image file or do I have to extract it and then burn it as an img? I mean I never done this so I wouldn't know how to make a boot disk. I also wanted to ask is there a way to delete that hidden partition?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 29th, 2009 06:00

The zip file contains an ISO image.  Use sonic to burn that image (NOT the file itself - you MUST use the "burn image" feature) to a CD.

No Events found!