Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2016 11:00

New "Inspiron 13 7368" randomly shutting down programs

This might be a hardware issue, might be software - I've received no help from three customer support reps so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has a similar issue or possible solutions other than a complete reinstall of Windows.

My 11-day old Inspiron 13 7368 randomly shuts down what ever program is open. I originally thought it was a learning curve for me to adapt - maybe my thumbs were hitting the trackpad and triggering a gesture that closed the program, or maybe a strange keyboard combo since this is slightly different than my old HP. 

But it hasn't gotten any better. I receive no error message when it happens. It happens in any program I am running that is currently on screen - Chrome, Chrome Canary, Edge, Powerpoint, Word, and Excel have all become victim to shutting down.

When this happens, the screen just goes to the desktop. It does not minimize the program - it closes it. I have to re-open it. Luckily, chrome allows me to pick up where I left off so my tabs come right back up. While doing a presentation at work today, I had to make a change to my powerpoint in advance so when it tried to shut down, it gave me the message "do you want to save your work before exiting - Yes, No, or Cancel" - and I could cancel and resume my powerpoint (still frustrating but better than the alternative).

For a while I thought it was the trackpad but now I don't think so. I also thought it was Chrome, but I used the other browsers and the same thing happens. I have updated all drivers. 

Other than a reinstall of Windows - are there any other options? Has anyone else seen this?

Thank you-

Wayne

4 Posts

September 8th, 2016 12:00

I have had the same problem. Apps just closing. Like you thought it was clumsy thumbs. Just purchased inspiron 13 7000 7368 2 in 1 5 days ago. I am tempted to think it is related to ghost screen issues, but not sure. I have yet to contact support folks. but will do so. Likely going to take this back.

5 Posts

September 8th, 2016 13:00

Hopefully you can get further than I did. After listening to my explanation, customer service said it was a software issue which wasn't covered by warranty and I'd have to pay for the $250 concierge service to do any troubleshooting. I said the same thing you did... might be hardware, and I can just bring the computer back and get a better one since I'm within my return window.

4 Posts

September 8th, 2016 19:00

Spent time with a Dell support person and had me return PC to factory settings. Did so, but no luck, same issues with closing of apps ... this is my 4th time trying to get this posting out.  browser kept closing. It is sporadic and random. There is a suggestion of a Firmware Download elswhere on dell support site (Dell firmware update radyuim_fw_calibration). not sure if that will work

5 Posts

September 10th, 2016 07:00

I had a firmware update pushed the other day but it didn't fix the problem. One thing that HAS worked is I slightly minimized my browser, full vertical but slightly reducing the width. I did this 2 days ago and my browser hasn't closed (screenshot)

But yesterday I was running another powerpoint for work and I didn't do this trick, and it tried to close twice!

Not sure if it's coincidence or not - but perhaps there's a problem with the screen touch sensor in that upper right corner?

Let me know if you try that other firmware please - good luck.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 10th, 2016 08:00

What happens if you disable the touchscreen (in the device manager)?

2K Posts

September 10th, 2016 15:00

Hi NOLESCORP / NEILER,

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/2c9pf2X - restart the system and then update the firmware and restart the system again and check. 

If the issue is not resolved, then as advised by ejn63, go to device manager and disable the touchscreen under Human Interface Devices and check if the issue is occurs. If the system works fine with the touchscreen disabled, then please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records and I shall review about this issue with our REC team.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

5 Posts

September 11th, 2016 06:00

Thank you Rishi - I have updated Bios and firmware and will give this some time before trying the touchscreen. I'll get back to you if the problem continues. Thanks for following and checking in.

2K Posts

September 11th, 2016 19:00

Hi NOLESCORP,

Thank you for the update.

Should you need any info / help, contact us anytime.

1 Message

October 28th, 2016 11:00

I have the same problem, 5 days ago bought the inspiron 13 7000 7368. Have you found a solution?

5 Posts

October 30th, 2016 08:00

Archerpro - I did have success updating both the BIOS and firmware again as suggested by support. I haven't had the issues happen one time since. Best of luck.

1 Message

November 13th, 2016 14:00

I just ran into the same problem with a Inspiron 13 5368, it's been working find since early September and the problem just showed up yesterday.

Are there any specific updates available for this model that specifically address this problem?

2K Posts

November 14th, 2016 10:00

Hi TKAPLAN5,

Kindly update the BIOS and firmware here - http://dell.to/2eUoWbC- restart the system and check. 

If the issue is not resolved, try the steps as suggested in the previous posts.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!