Please, help me restore my audio to my Dell Latitude D830... the icon on the right bottom has the red X and it says "No Audio Output Device is Installed"... Thanks in advance!... Oz
You need to install the Sigmatel audio driver, but there isn't one for Windows 10. So download this Sigmatel driver for Vista and follow these instructions:
1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Vista".
If installing the Sigmatel driver does not help, you might have to revert the laptop back to an operating system in which the audio did work.
ok... so that would be windows 7... is there a reason that I cannot run windows 10 on this laptop?... I have two exactly same laptops and the other one works great... just curious... oz