Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2017 08:00

No Boot Device Found

Hello,

I have a dell Inspiron 3521 that I purchased in December 2013.  A couple of days ago upon starting up the computer, after the dell logo, the computer displayed, "Check Media: Fail" twice and then the following message: "NO Boot Device Found.  Press any key to reboot the machine".  I restarted the computer, pressed the F2 button to see if the hard drive was detected as as you can see on the pic below the "Fixed HDD" reads "St500LT012-1DG142 (4GB).  

Then I ran the ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment and as you can see in the second pic below next to the hard drive is a blue circle with the letters "NA" even though this diagnostic tool runs to completion and states that "All tests passed".  

So, what should I do?  Reseat the hard drive?  Buy a new hard drive? 

Service Tag: 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 13th, 2017 11:00

I see you have a 4 GB drive for your primary .. probably not relevant, but something to keep in mind.

Could you get a picture of the Boot page in the Bios and what is showing as primary and other devices which might be available?

June 13th, 2017 12:00

Excellent point about the 4 GB drive.  Here are the pictures you requested.  

I never could find the "Windows Boot Manager" like this forum post suggests: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19518806 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 13th, 2017 16:00

:emotion-2:

After quick tests,  you click Hard drive, and then click "Thorough Test Mode" in ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment ?

532 Posts

June 14th, 2017 03:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

You’ve reached the right department and we are here to assist you. We request you to try the below mentioned steps and let us know the outcome.

1. Power ON the machine and start tapping F2 key on the startup Dell logo.

2. It takes you to the BIOS screen.

3. Move to "Boot" tab, Select "Boot list options", and change the option from "Legacy" to "UEFI".

4. Restart the machine, it should load fine to Windows.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 15th, 2017 08:00

:emotion-2:

Any updates Chemistry Dude ? I'm assuming the computer is fix now.

June 15th, 2017 09:00

I tried the thorough test mode in diagnostics and it says that all tests passed.

I also tried the UEFI boot and have not had any success.

I did not have time to work on this yesterday.  I tried the legacy boot, but the very last line of the legacy boot is "No Boot Device Found.  Press any key to reboot the machine."  (See pic below).  After this, I disconnected the battery, reseated the harddrive and tried starting it back up.  As before, I heard a series of beeps (about 1 every other second).  I would assume at this point that this is a failed hard drive.  Any other suggestions before I buy a new hard drive and install it?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2017 11:00

If you're seeing a 500G hard drive as 4G, something is seriously wrong with the drive.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 15th, 2017 12:00

Agreed ejn63, ....

4GB hard drive doesn't sound right. If 500 GB Hard drive is on the system then it isn't enough to store a lot of information / data.  My guess, the drive is good and needs to be formatting or remove all data. If I'm correct, this would expand why the drive pass the diagnostic test and Thorough Test Mode..

Here's a picture of my hard drive - Inspiron 3543, 1TB (1000GB) Hard drive:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 15th, 2017 13:00

" I also tried the UEFI boot and have not had any success "

Just to be sure here, secure boot is enable under the boot tab in the BIOS ? Do you see Windows Boot Manager, Onboard NIC IP4 and IP6 ? Here's an image of my Inspiron 3543:

No Events found!