Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2010 13:00

No HDMI / Display-Port Output (Studio XPS 1645, Radeon HD 4670)

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on this one......

I've recently bought a Dell Studio XPS 1645 Laptop with the Radeon 4670 graphics card. So far, so good and everything works flawlessly - except for the HDMI and DisplayPort ports.

Question is, is there something specific I need to do in order to get them to work and do anything? I've tried both the Dell website drivers and the ATI updated website drivers (8.741-100527a-100954C-ATI; Catalyst version 10.6).

The Catalyst software connects to an external monitor through VGA no problem at all, but won't detect an external TV using HDMI or DisplayPort (though the TV is fine, as my PS3 and Humax Freeview box work fine).

Also, just in case it will make a difference, I an using Windows 7 Pro 64bit - so could it be an incompatibility between the 64bit drivers and the hardware?

Any suggestions welcome, as I'd really like to get this working through 1080p on my big telly! :emotion-2:

Thanks....

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 12th, 2010 14:00

Connecting a tv is not like attaching a monitor. You have to follow certain steps that are covered in Win 7 Help under Connect a TV. Remember to change the setting on the computer to External Monitor--which you've already done. Then you have to set the TV to the input you are using--look that up in the tv manual. It should be something like Video 2 or HDMI or Auxilary--depending on your model tv. The tv needs to be connected to the HDMI output on the computer. And you cannot have both the HDMI and the VGA ports in use at the same time. You must use only one of those at a time. Laptops cannot have 2 external monitors unless you add some extra hardware.

5 Posts

July 25th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Mary,

The TV is fine, and have that setup correctly (I've used it with the PS3 and Digibox - so just unplug and switch the cables over depending on which I want to use).

As far as the external monitor goes, in the Catalyst control panel, I have the following showing (when no external display is connected):

Which seems normal (laptop display only). But when plugging in the HDMI or DisplayPort cable and clicking Detect Displays, the laptop only even wants to speak to the VGA port and not the HDMI.

So am I missing something obvious? How do I tell Catalyst to stop talking to the VGA port and start using the HDMI for external connections?

Thanks! :emotion-2:

1 Message

October 30th, 2010 21:00

Did you ever get a resolution for this?  I am having a similair problem with my new Inspiron Studio17, I connect the HDMI and nothing on the TV :S

38 Posts

March 15th, 2015 08:00

I bought a $1700 laptop from Dell, and they never fixed this issue.  So disappointed.  They kept telling me to wait till the drivers are updated.  Then the laptop was 'conveniently' out of warranty.

Anyone ever find a resolution to this issue?

#notbuyingadelleveragain

No Events found!