Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2015 20:00

No Headphone or Speakers plugged - Though I have Internal Speakers

Hello,

The other day my laptop was being rather slow so I asked my friend for some help. She looked through my downloads and asked what something was and neither her nor I knew what it was. It had something to do with audio. She deleted it thinking it was contributing to the slowness of my laptop. Now, my sound does not work!! The speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner just has a muted symbol on it and when I scroll over it says " No headphones or speakers and plugged in" and if I click on it, it opens a window scanning saying it is detecting problems, which gave me hope because I thought it might detect a problem, but then it says "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."  I am bewildered after shutting it down turning it back on, restarting it three times and googling lots. This has happened a few times before but only almost months between when I just restart it and it goes back to normal, but this time restarting it did not solve the problem and the deletion of the unknown audio something download gives me some reason to think it can be contributed to that? ( I have Dell Inspiron with Windows 8.1, a 64-bit operation system, and x-64 based processor)

Thanks for any and all help!

Chow,

Eleanor Baker

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Hello Eleanor Baker.

First try using Windows System Restore (type system restore into the Windows search box or go through the Control Panel and click on Recovery). If you can find a Restore Point dated prior to when the audio software was deleted, use that. You won't lose any of your files doing that.

It doing that is impractical or does not help, the other thing you can do is to go to the Dell support page for your model, click the Drivers button, select your 8.1 operating system, expand the Audio category, and download and install the audio driver that will be there.

Unfortunately I cannot point you directly at your support page without knowing the full model name of your laptop, but you can follow this link where there will be links to all of the Inspiron models. Find your model in the list and click its link. (Alternately you could enter your service tag number.)

Hi Eleanor,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

Please check in Device manager under option Audio if you notice any exclamation mark / question mark. Try re-installing the audio driver from Dell's support site here http://dell.to/1hcxG98, type in the Service Tag, select the OS type and install the Audio drivers.

Complete the same, restart the computer and let us know if there are any other issues.

June 29th, 2015 22:00

Jim,

Thank you so very much for the very detailed help! I found my dell model and downloaded the drive and as soon as it downloaded the mute symbol went away on the speaker icon! Once again, thank you for the help. Greatly appreciated.

Eleanor Baker

June 29th, 2015 22:00

Hello,

Thank you for the help, but I was already lead the dell website to download the audio driver and now it works perfectly. Thank you for the description.

Eleanor Baker

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2015 02:00

Windows update may resolve this problem. You can update it and reboot ur computer. or you can download a driver for your sound card

http://www.driversweb.net/Realtek_ALC880_882_Audio_Driver_V5_10_0_5202_for_Windows_2000_XP_2003_amp_64bit_XP_2003_WHQL.html

No Events found!