Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2010 15:00

No Sound on XPS M1330 After Motherboard Swap

I just had the motherboard changed on my XPS M1330 (for an unrelated reason). However, now I get no sound from my speakers. I am running Windows 7, and have been for a year with no problems. If I go into the Sound control panel, the Playback tab shows that Speakers is the default, currently-selected playback device. If I right click on Speakers and select Test, the little sound meter in the dialog box shows that Windows thinks it is making sound, but no sound comes out of the speakers. If I go into Device Manager, I have High Definition Audio Device listed, and it says that it is working fine. I also made sure that all the controls are at max in the volume mixer.

I know this sounds like a problem with the new motherboard or speakers. However, I get sound if I plug in headphones. Furthermore, I get sound from the speakers if I boot from an Ubuntu live CD. So don't those two things rule out hardware issues?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2010 07:00

If I go into Device Manager, I have High Definition Audio Device listed,

It appears that the Sigmatel audio driver is not installed. Because there is not a 7 version, usually one downloads the Vista version R171786 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Unpack the files but cancel the installation. Go to the hard drive to c:\Dell\drivers\R171786 and right click on the setup.exe file and on the compatibility tab select Vista.

I know this sounds like a problem with the new motherboard or speakers. However, I get sound if I plug in headphones. Furthermore, I get sound from the speakers if I boot from an Ubuntu live CD. So don't those two things rule out hardware issues?

Not necessarily.If the problem is not because of the Sigmatel driver then there is a possibility of a compound hardware/software issue that I described in an article Headphone Jack Works But No Audio From Speakers.

No Events found!