Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 11th, 2013 09:00

No Sound

I am not getting sound thru speakers. Getting sound to headphone.

Inspiron 1520. Linux Mint 14.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

I am not getting sound thru speakers. Getting sound to headphone.

Inspiron 1520. Linux Mint 14.

Ask you questions at the Linux Mint forums.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Hello. Test your speakers hardware. Use the Dell 32 bit Diagnostics audio tests if you still have it. If not, run the PSA tests. Neither of those tests function within the operating system so it doesn't matter which OS you have for them to work.

If you have to use the PSA tests, I think that the version for your laptop does not have an audio test (look in the lower right corner of the PSA main screen for "Quick Audio Test"). If not, the way to test the speakerts is this: let the PSA tests run, and when it shows some color bars on the screen it will ask if you saw them. Deliberately fail the test by answering no (n) instead of yes (y). The PSA diagnostics will then emit a series of beep tones through the speakers. If you do not hear the beeps then the speakers are either dead or disconnected.

If you do hear the beeps then the speakers are okay. In that case re-install your audio driver. Dell supplies a Sigmatel audio driver for XP and Vista, but none for Linix, so use whatever driver you normally use.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 11th, 2013 10:00

Hope he didn't blow away all the partitions originally on the laptop. Newbie Linux users tend to do that.

No Events found!