Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2010 16:00

No audio device found

I have an Inspiron laptop E1505 with XP

Should an audio device show on the Dell pre-boot d iagnostics?  I ran  the whole thing and found video, but no audio. I also did a System Restore.

My wizard keeps asking for a "base systems device" whatever that is.  The term was not in the list. Also sometimes asks for BCM 2045 whatever that is.

I installed the MS windows server KB901105 in both 32 and 64 bit types

I Installed the Sigmatel Stac 92XX

Still can find no Audio Device under Sounds in Control Panel.  Are these devices internal or external?  There is a  little door on the right side of my laptop, but it looks like it is for a Bluetooth device that my son must have used and I don't.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 9th, 2010 19:00

"Should an audio device show on the Dell pre-boot d iagnostics?"

There is not a visual representation of an audio device in either the pre-boot assessment tests or in Dell Diagnostics. But the interesting thing about the tests is that they are independent of Windows, so it doesn't matter if you do a system restore or install a driver or whatever.

"Are these devices internal or external?  There is a  little door on the right side of my laptop, but it looks like it is for a Bluetooth device that my son must have used and I don't."

There is an internal Sigmatel audio system on the motherboard. You can also add an external audio system, either a usb one or one on a little card that slips into the Express Card slot on the right side above the hard drive bay.

*********************************************************************************************

Here are my suggestions on how to run the audio tests in Dell Diagnostics. These interactive audio tests are designed to narrow down the problem to either the software or hardware. The tests are independent of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if those are working correctly or not. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .
2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests. (At this point - after you have opened Dell Diagnostic custom - if you can't find the option to select the audio tests that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.)
5. The tests will run. Alternate between using headphones and listening to speakers in case only one signal path is working.
The tests will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it.
6. If you don't hear the music during the test it definitely means there is a hardware failure somewhere in the system. In this case Dell will repair the computer if it is still under warranty.
7.If you do hear the audio during the test but not when you boot back into Windows, that almost always means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the audio driver or with Windows.
8. Error codes: If you answer 'no' to any question that the test asks you, the test generates an error code that can tell a Dell technician that you answered 'no' to that question. The test does not know the exact component that has gone bad. Before answering 'no' to a question, make note of the circumstances at that point so you will know in general what the error code means

3 Posts

January 10th, 2010 07:00

Thanks Jimco.   I did hear a beep when the PSA test ran, but when I opened the Diagnostics I was never given the Customs option.  Is it possible to download the information found on the Drivers and Utilities CD?  Did this CD come with the machine?  Would I be better  off just buying an external audio device and if I do will it control audio on both the internet and when I start trying to use my Roxio VHS to DVD unit?

Is there a way to get the Hardware Wizard out of my system?  When I go on the internet with Mozilla I have to cancel it out 5 or 6 times as it keeps asking for "base system devices", "BCM 2045" and other items I have never heard of.   Could this have something to do  with my lack of audio?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 11th, 2010 05:00

Is it possible to download the information found on the Drivers and Utilities CD? 

Look under the Diagnostics category on the E1505 downloads page.  There are some instructions here.

Did this CD come with the machine? 

Probably not. You can request the discs here.

Would I be better  off just buying an external audio device and if I do will it control audio on both the internet and when I start trying to use my Roxio VHS to DVD unit?

I am sorry but I don't understand this question. I'm not familiar with Roxio VHS to DVD unit.

***************************************************************************************************

It could be that there is nothing wrong with the hardware. What were the circumstances when the audio stopped working? New programs, virus, reinstalled operating system, etc?

There seem to be more problems with your software than just the audio.

No Events found!