Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

1 Message

January 19th, 2009 17:00

No audio from 3.5 mm jack on d/dock port when d630 docked, vista business

Just got a D/dock for my d630. Everything seems to work except for the 3.5 mm audio jack; when I insert the audio cable for my external speakers into the jack the laptop's speakers turn off but there is no sound from the external speaker. Tried updating BIOS and reinstallin Sigmatel audio driver; any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2 Posts

September 28th, 2014 20:00

I found a workaround. Here goes (follow each step exactly - don't get ahead of yourself):

1. Download the VISTA sigma-tel driver for either 32 bit VISTA or for 64 bit VISTA from the Dell website. This 32 or 64 bit choice should correspond to your version of Windows 7. After downloading, create a folder on your desktop called "audio" or similar - something easy to find. Download the driver package to that new folder.

2. Run the installer which asks you where you want to place the installation files as they unzip. Choose the folder that you created in step 1 and extract the files into the same folder. You will have to type the path manually.

3. Once the installation files have been unzipped and are in the file that you created, you will notice that there are several files named "Setup".  RIGHT CLICK once on the setup file that bears the InstallShield icon. After right clicking the correct setup file, select "Troubleshoot Compatibility". This is new for Windows 7. You will be asked to specify the program in which the driver USED to work. Indicate VISTA 32bit or 64bit, again depending on the version of Windows 7 that you are using. Continue following the prompts, and the driver then installs properly and all audio outputs function properly on both the laptop and the docking station.

1 Message

December 12th, 2014 01:00

thank for the help but it just didn't work. I install this driver but the speaker sign on the taskbar  shows that the computer has sound but its not coming out of the laptop speaker neither is it coming out of the head phone.

Is there any other thing you could suggest?

thank

Joseph Mensah

December 15th, 2015 19:00

This problem has been plaguing me for a long time. Sometimes the driver works, and other times it does not. Maybe it's a chipset driver problem. I have a d630. I've been able to get dock audio on win7, win 8.1 and win 10, all 64 bit, but on some installations it just won't work no matter what. The audio is there for a split second, and then it's gone. It can't be a bios issue since it works sometimes.

Really wish I could put this problem to bed.

2 Posts

December 16th, 2015 04:00

R171789 isn't working for me. Only the R171788... Good luck!

1 Message

April 18th, 2016 10:00

Hi, AlexChato9's workaround works fine on Windows 10 too. I've downloaded the XP driver R171789.exe and executed in compatibility mode the way you suggested

Win 10 tried to install it using the default settings (XP), and currently anything is working fine.

No need to reboot the system.

Thanks a lot to you and to Medienfox

1 Message

July 8th, 2017 08:00

THANKS!  This outdated thread help my still alive D820 running windows 8.1 - although I seldom use it.  

I have an E6510 running linux, I've been off windows for years.  Admittingly as far as windows goes, the old D820 doesn't have any real problems keep up with 8.1

No Events found!