bri71178
1 Nickel

No boot device

Hi. Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?....per dell sales I replaced the hard drive on my inspiron 1545 and i continued to install the CD's that I received with my laptop, however a message appears that there is no boot device. I don't understand what this means or what I am to do. The windows disc will start and begin installation, but when its time to restart and let windows start normally I get this same message. I have ran a full diagnostic and everything passed....one time it did say there was no media...this is foreign to me but it is vital that I have this up and running. I use this for school and I am out of options. Please please help!!! Thank you, Brigitte

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
KCHorse
1 Copper

RE: No boot device

Hello, I have been servicing DELL computers for 8 years - there are two options

1. Enter 'BIOS' (setup) when you first see the Dell screen by depressing the F2 key wait for a couple seconds and you should see a blue screen whith the computer's information. READ all this to familiarize your self. Look for a selection that is labled BOOT ORDER, select that. Ensure that the CD boots first and then the Hard Drive. If the Hard Drive is not listed then there is a problem with the drive. Exit BIOS saving changes. If the drive was listed, you are good to go on that issue.

2. The most common mistake that happens is that when tou are installing the operating system (especially XP and Vista) upon reboot from the first installation it will ask you to press any key to boot from disk (DO NOT DO THIS!!!) The operation of installation will continue at this point.

Good Luck,   Kenward

0 Kudos
bri71178
1 Nickel

RE: No boot device

Thank you so much! I am trying this now. The drive was detected so I am continuing with your instructions. 

0 Kudos