Highlighted
Phat Hua
1 Nickel

No bootable device found on my brand new Dell XPS 13 (9343)

Jump to solution

I just bought Dell XPS 13 couple days ago. I had a problem with backup and recovery which showing exclamation mark most time. I tried to download and uninstall it many times even factory reset it. This morning, when I turn it on, the system says that no bootable device found. What happen to my new laptop. Please show me how to fix it. Moreover, let me know how to remove exclamation mark because it is so annoying

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jowi
1 Nickel

RE: No bootable device found on my brand new Dell XPS 13 (9343)

Jump to solution

My XPS 13 got worse and worse, and finally did not start anymore. I ran Acronis DriveCleanser from usb to try to access the disk, but it would only run for a short while and then report "write error to disk". The issue in my case turned out to be a faulty SSD. I spoke to tech support and they sent a replacement disk that I was allowed to replace myself. Computer now runs without any issues.

Replacement SSD = orig. SSD = LITEON CX-1-GB512-D11

port25
1 Copper

Jump to solution

(SEE MESSAGE SENT TO DELL REGARDING THIS ISSUE WITH MY XPS 15 9550)

Hello,

Replacing the motherboard did not resolve the issue; however, I now have a better understanding as to what's happening:
(tested with 2 SSD's, and 2 HDD's)
(tested with original and replaced motherboard)
(tested with both legacy and uefi boot modes)
(tested with secure boot enabled/disabled)
(tested with original BIOS firmware version, and latest --JAN 5th)
SCENARIO #1 (SATA1 as boot drive, m.2 as secondary) :
-BIOS randomly does not detect SATA1 drive (does not show in System Configuration). 
-"No boot device found"' error, followed by dell system check.
SCENARIO #2 (m.2 as boot drive, SATA1 as secondary):
-BIOS randomly does not detect SATA1 drive (does not show in System Configuration). 
-Post BIOS, Dell logo with spinner animation will show for more than a minute, and then boot into windows.
-SATA1 drive will almost always show in Windows (even though BIOS does not report it).
SCENARIO #3 (m.2 as boot drive, SATA1 disabled in BIOS):
-Windows boots fast (less than 10-15 seconds)

CONCLUSION:
The SATA1 drive is not always detected/initialized early on in the boot process (BIOS); it is often detected/initialized later on in the process (POST BIOS), but this causes a significant startup delay. 
TEMPORARY FIX:

Disable SATA1 in BIOS.
The problem described above makes the SATA1 drive unusable (given its poor stability) as a primary boot device, and impractical as a secondary drive.

Note: Most XPS users do not have a SATA1 drive (the larger battery takes its place), and/or are using RAID mode (I have not tested this configuration); therefore, this is not likely to be a well known issue...  PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!!

Regards,
John
JimmyA82
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had a similar problem with my Dell XPS13 (2017). If you have this model you will notice that the links below from Dell are useless since they only apply to old models where you can remove the battery (i.e. do a 'hard' reset)

Here's what worked for me.

> During boot sequence, repeatedly press F2 key to enter settings

> Click 'boot sequence'

> Remove the 'Windows Boot Manager' option (so there will be no options, that's ok)

> Click 'Add new option'. This will give you the option to browse for the boot file by clicking the button with the three dots "..."

> Find the file "bootx64.efi" in path /EFI/BOOT

> Give this boot option a name and add it

> Apply these settings

This may work on it's own. However, I also took one more step. I read that this problem can be caused because the boot sequence sometimes does not give enough time for the BIOS controller to recognise the latest types of SSD hard drive. So...

> Further down the list of settings options on the left of the settings screen as above, there is an option to add a delay to the boot sequence

> Add a 5 second delay

> Apply these settings

Hope this helps!

Terrible that Dell does not provide support with this. Seems to be a common problem.

21 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello,

Here is a link to the Dell troubleshooting article for No BOOT issues.  That would be the first thing i would recommend reading as it has steps you can try to get your system to boot up again.  

You said you couldn't download the backup software.  Are you, or were you, able to get onto the internet and download other items?  Just want to confirm it's not an issue with network connection.

If none of the steps in the article above help then you may want to contact your local Dell Tech Support and ask them for help.   You can go to Dell Support Pages to find contact information for Dell Support.

Try out the No BOOT document and see if that helps. Please let us know what you try and if you succeed in resolving the issue.  If not, I'll see what else we can find to try.

Todd

0 Kudos
finiterex
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I'm having similar problems with my brand new Dell XPS 9343.  Since upgrading to BIOS A03 the Samsung SSD is sometimes not detected at boot giving the "no boot device" screen.  If I run through the on-board diagnostics this seems to kick things into action.  Somewhat annoying for a VERY expensive laptop so would like to hear back from Dell ASAP as to how this is going to get resolved.  Have looked that the UEFI Boot settings, when this occurs the boot options disappear and a manual attempt to add back in gives "no file systems", further when looking at the system information the SSD is shown as "none".  Smacks to me of a drive firmware / BIOS issue.

Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't know about any issue with the XPS 13 and Samsung SSDs but just in case I've sent a message over to my contact in our product group to see what they can find out.  I'll update both of you once I hear back.

Todd

0 Kudos
Phat Hua
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for replying to me, by the way, I just solved "No Boot Device Found" issue couple hours ago. I think my issue is revelant with updating backup and recovery software. And I requested Dell sending CD and Flash Driver for solving problem. But now I run into missing power button on start screen (originally my laptop has this button on start screen). I like this button and want it appears on start screen. How can I get this power button originally reappears on star screen again. My Laptop is Dell XPS 13 (9343) 2015

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for replying to me, by the way, I just solved "No Boot Device Found" issue couple hours ago. I think my issue is revelant with updating backup and recovery software. And I requested Dell sending CD and Flash Driver for solving problem. But now I run into missing power button on start screen (originally my laptop has this button on start screen). I like this button and want it appears on start screen. How can I get this power button originally reappears on star screen again. My Laptop is Dell XPS 13 (9343) 2015

Hi, 

You may want to check out this article from Microsoft about toggling the Power Button to show on the start screen.

Todd

0 Kudos
Phat Hua
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Once again, I just solved "missing power button on start screen". And the next problem I now run into is my recovery D:  drive disconnected. There is any way to fix it? DELL XPS 13 (9343) 2015

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Once again, I just solved "missing power button on start screen". And the next problem I now run into is my recovery D:  drive disconnected. There is any way to fix it? DELL XPS 13 (9343) 2015

Hi,

You may want to run a system restore back to a point where the drive was detected, as discussed in this thread.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. ...
  2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.
  3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

Todd

0 Kudos
SCP-XPS13
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dear all, I've followed your discussion about the above mentioned problem. Unfortunately you have not informed, HOW you have solved the "No bootable devices found" issue. Could you please give me an explanation, as I do have the same problem.

Many thanks, SCP-XPS13

0 Kudos
David1NYC
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9343) that worked for 2 days, and now it doesn't boot any more.  I have the 512GB drive (is that a Samsung?)  I just see a Dell logo and dots spinning in a circle.

0 Kudos