Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2010 13:00

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

My Laptop is Dell Latitude D600 (A16) Everytime I tried to power up, Splash screen appears with blue bar and when going into next screen this message appears " No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility "  so I clicked on F1 and this " No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility " kept on coming up over and over again. Any idea how can I fix it?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 14th, 2010 17:00

Go into the BIOS setup.  Does the hard drive show up (F2 at powerup)?  If not, reseat it (slide it out and back in again).  If it's then still not detected, it's toast;  replace it.  You'll need a new 2.5" 9.5 mm EIDE (NOT SATA) drive, 120G or smaller.  Then reload WIndows, your drivers and restore your data from your backups.

If the drive is seen, press F12 at powerup - boot to the Dell diagnostics and test the drive (extended -- not just quick - test). Chances are the drive will fail - if so, replace as above.

This is almost certainly a failed hard drive.

1 Message

December 29th, 2012 00:00

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for  setup utility  and then it say No boot device available - boot failed 

I have a Dell Latitude D600 with A16 Bios and had the same problem due to a power failure, and fixed it myself.

1.) I was able to boot from the F12 boot menu to access Windows XP Pro SP3..(It had WD Lifeguard Tools Ver 11.0  With Ontrack DDO on my HDD because it was 160Gig WD Blue Caviar Hdd...Bios Max is 120Gig Hdd...works great!)

2.) Just letting it boot after power on button;  it kept saying  "No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for  setup utility  and then it say No boot device available"-

So this is my easy fix:

3:) Press F2 and go into the Bios setup utility.

It's an easy fix...Go into bios to boot order and highlight "Internal HDD", press spacebar so it is not red "> Internal HDD", but white...it needs a triangle '>' next to it to activate the boot order listing,to look like this: 'white'  "> Internal HDD",  use the keyboard key 'U' =Up 'D'=Down to set boot order in the Dell Latitude D600 A16 Bios. Then press 'Esc' key on the keyboard and save settings. now reboot your computer

4.) If it does not find hdd then go back to bios and activate the cd/dvd rom or the floppy disk as a main boot with the white triangle. and try again to boot up to these. If you can boot to either of these, then try to reactivate internal HDD as the first boot device.

5.)  If it does not work then I believe the HDD is "toast" Try running the diagnostics of both the HDD Mfgr, & Dell Diagnostics for codes from a floppy/cd. Also google the EIDE hdd dell adapter, because it may be the problem also. The EIDE Dell HDD Adapter for the 2.5 hdd is a cheap fix for less than $10.00, if it is bad.

Commands for A16 Bios:

activate = press spacebar to add the triangle '>'

deactivate = press spacebar also to remove the triangle '>'

Use the keyboard key 'U' =Up 'D'=Down to set boot order.

Alt-P to change pages

Then press 'Esc' key and save settings

Any questions about my fix, email me kellysharon@yahoo.com.... put ' Dell Latitude: No Bootable devices Fix' in subject line

No Events found!