Highlighted
Kellou
Copper

No charge no power

So, I switched out the power cord, tried fn f2 f3, plugged in a different outlets and still the results are the same- giant paperweight. My trouble all started with downloading Windows 10. The computer crashed constantly, lost power out of the blue, and some other annoyances. I have uninstalled that beast from ***, but encountered issues though less frequently.

What I am getting from the previous posts is that I need a new mother board, right? That seems expensive or techie.  Is there some other means to just charge my battery that doesn't involve another computer?  I have hardly used this refurbished hunk of junk. I refuse to ever get another HP because of the problems I had with their laptops. I hope Dell isn't heading in the same direction.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: No charge no power

Hi kellou,

Thanks for posting.

Dell uses an "intelligent" power adapter system. When you turn on the laptop the BIOS program on the mainboard tries to identify the charger via special control wire. If - for instance - the cable that connects to the power jack is damaged or the power jack itself is loose / broken the BIOS might not be able to recognize the power adapter and refuses to charge the battery.

To check if the power adapter is properly recognized press function-key "F2" at powerup. That takes you to the BIOS screen where you can find the information.

You can also:

Remove the Adapter and battery from the computer. Re-seat the power cord bricks in the adapter and then connect only the adapter start the computer by tapping F2 and look for AC Adapter type: If it shows Unknown. Could be problem with adapter. 90% that will fix the problem by getting adapter replaced. Even try it with different adapter if you have one and do the same steps.

Hopefully the alternate adapter doesn't show any reports like Unknown. Confirm the problem with Primary adapter.  If that shows the same message like Unknown then it would be a problem with the Motherboard adapter connector.

If everything is fine with Adapter. Now comes the battery part. Connect the battery to the computer while the system runs and check for the battery error message. if it still persists. then go for BIOS update from the support.dell.com using the computer service tag.. make sure battery has charged like greater than 15%.. Also try check the battery with alternate adapter.

Hope this works.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Kellou
Copper

Thanks Robert. It worked for a second with F2 and charged to about 25% (from around15%) before the computer shut dow in expectantly.  Haven't been able to repeat and I continue to have other problems, like Windows not starting up. Startup repair is happening right now, ( and not for the first time recently), but I fear I will run out of power before it is done. 10 min. So far. If I have any power left, I will try again. L

0 Kudos
Kellou
Copper

Adapter and battery removal and re-seat did not work. New ( from my Work Dell) plug/adapter attached. Without battery, no power. With battery, no charge. Now, computer is completely dead. Aka useless. I don't know if the powers was ever recognized as I am not sure I ever got to that location. One time, I did get to another screen where it said Strings. Only the General heading had information. The other items like, power management,  was empty. I just checked the pictures I took of the General area, and it said battery health is normal and at 9%. AC adapter, " not installed." that was with my adapter attached and plugged in.

0 Kudos