Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2011 03:00

No diagnostic Utility Partition found..

Hi

I recently upgraded the hard drive on my Inspiron 2200 and it has worked fine for several days - but now doesn't! When turning on it doesn't get past the first Dell display. When I go through F12 - Diagnostics - it passes them all till it gets to Hard Drive. It completes the DST Short Status Test (Pass) and then I get the message : "No diagnostic utlity partition found. To run diagnostics insert your Dell "Drivers and Utiliries CD". Unfortunately I have never had such a CD.

However when I change the Hard drive back to the original it works fine! I'm surprised if it's a fault with the hard drive because it worked fine for several days after installation - even though it's a 250GB drive and the BIOS tells me that it recognizes 137GB.

Is there an obvious solution - do I need to download any drivers - or is it likley to be a faulty Hard Drive?

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Mike

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

February 18th, 2011 04:00

Use another PC to download the Diagnostics program and burn to CD. 

2 Posts

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll do as you suggest, which all makes sense. Thanks again....

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

On this system, you CANNOT create a single, large partition for Windows.

Go back and reinstall Windows, but create a 120G partition as the FIRST one on the drive.  Install Windows to it.  Then, create a second partition once Windows is running, to use the rest of the drive.

Because the BIOS doesn't support large drives, you will run into problems like the one you've seen if you try to run windows beyond the 120G barrier.

2 Posts

May 15th, 2011 18:00

Where is the program stored that allow you to create the recovery partition....?  I need to backup a recovery partion on a INSPIRON 6000 and recreate the utility partition and then restore the programs... ctrl-f11 does not work so I cannot recover my system to factory startup point....

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 15th, 2011 18:00

The recovery partition was created with Symantec Ghost - it is not included with the system.  If you want to use Ghost, you'll need to purchase a copy of it.

No Events found!