Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2015 07:00

No driver updates for windows 10

I want to upgrade to Windows 10.....BUT  - this is what the Dell site is saying......

Dell N5050 laptop

Dell is not testing or developing windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

Does this mean no hope for running Windows 10?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 23rd, 2015 06:00

The difference is Dell and Microsoft are different companies.

• Dell have not tested the laptop and hence have no driver updates.
  • Microsoft have installed the get Windows 10 App from Windows Update and it has scanned your system and deemed your hardware compatible.

The best thing you can do driver wise is to make sure you have the latest BIOS installed before upgrading:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00799802M/1/N5050A05.EXE

See updating the BIOS:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/updating-the-bios/

Windows 10 TH1 seems to be struggling most with Broadcom wireless cards, touchpads and in some cases display adapters.

Windows 10 TH2 will be out soon and hopefully will have a superior inbuilt driver base for these problem areas. I would advise waiting until its released on the main track which should be soon.

Ensure you have a Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD or Dell Backup and Recovery Bootable USB before proceeding with the upgrade.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

If the system is not tested for windows 10 then there will not be drivers for the applications .

Hence we would not recommend you to ungrade to windows 10 .

Thanks

Robin

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 09:00

Why the conflicting reports?

My laptop was/is tested for Windows 10,  says You're good to go.

Yet when I installed windows 10 it was a nightmare, so I uninstalled it and went back to windows 7

and everything ran smoothly. 

If I install and try again with the same results will I be able to go back to windows 7?

Thanks

5.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 11:00

If you used the go-back option in Win 10, supposedly you can not use it a second time. You would need to research this. If you prepare a system image of your Win 7 installation, you can use it a number of times. Many machines will not have Dell supplied Win 10 drivers available, however, Win 8 drivers many times work. the Win 10 upgrade installs usable drivers to replace those that are incompatible. I have upgraded six very different computers ranging from 1 to 10 years old with no serious problems. Most of the problems were easily solved.

The best approach is to check the web to see what experience others have had with your particular model.

If you post your model and what problems you had, we will try to help.

Remember, MS is determined for you to update, even if you don't want to, and they will eventually forch the upgrade on everyone.

October 22nd, 2015 12:00

i have same issue.

October 26th, 2015 10:00

that worked :) thank you so much

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 26th, 2015 14:00

Glad it helped. :)

No Events found!