Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 20th, 2009 13:00

No matter what I do it still runs hot. Dell Inspiron 1525

I have a Dell Inspiron.  It's holding an Intel Dual core cpu at 2ghz each, adn 3gb of ddr ram.  The power is not the issue.  What seems to be the problem is it's overheating which is causing my system to idle.  Is there a fan upgrade I can get? also is there any software I can use to track my temp?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 20th, 2009 14:00

There's no fan upgrade, but there are software utilities that will monitor the temperature - i8kfangui is one. 

Make sure the fan is operating correctly (Dell diagnostics, F12 at boot).

Make sure the heatsink is clear of dust accumulation.

Make sure you're not abusing the system (no using on your lap, the sofa, carpet, bed, etc.).

If the above check out you might consider removing the heatsink from the CPU and replacing the thermal interface material (assuming the system is out of warranty;  if it's in-warranty, have Dell deal with it).

282 Posts

September 22nd, 2009 00:00

I have an Inspiron 5160 and I had mine shut down twice from overheating. I had moved and figured that i needed to blow it out but it took me awhile to find my compressed air duster. When I did, I turned the comptuer over and found that there was dust partly blocking the vent over where the fan was, etc. I used the compressed air to blow it loose and to blow inside and dust flew out. After blowing out whatever I could see or places that looked like they would get it inside, it is now running nice and cool.  Before that when I place my hands over the keyboard toward the screen I could feel that it was quite hot. I had even tried some ice packs to help it cool down.

So I would suggest trying one of those compressed air dusters to blow it out. They may have them where computer stuff is sold. I don't remember where I got this, but it sure did the trick for me.

I remembered reading a long time ago on the forums that some of the models in this series had problems with dust build up and thus heat, but those were earlier models. I think they had mentioned blowing it out. Some of them though had oil on the heat sink I think it was said and of course dust would stick to oil so it wouldn't blow loose. But again those were earlier models than mine and mine is coming up on 5 years old.

No Events found!