Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-06-2013 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

No picture on the laptop screen or an external monitor . Inspiron 1721

:emotion-10:I am helping a friend to find an answer to why there is no video on the laptop screen or a working external monitor

the computer is a  

Dell Inspiron 1721

The computer turns on and I have tested the hard drive and it is working.

I have also tested the cd drive ,  I  put the memory in a differnt computer and all appear to be working

only trouble is a black screen. I have plugged in an external monitor and I still get nothing.

I have limited laptop skills .I work mostly on desk top computers .

I would think it could be a video card. (but I'm not sure laptops even have removable video cards) :emotion-10:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies (5)
Dell Technologies

Hi bestbigdon,

By your description, issue can be with the LCD or the Video card on the computer.

To isolate the issue, run LCD diagnostics on the computer (hold down the D and Power button simultaneously).

Also, run hardware diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and Power button simultaneously. Let me know the status of the diagnostics.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi,

Jumping in here because I have the same problem.

When I ran the LCD diagnostics the screen showed the colours red, green and blue one at a time. After a while the screen turned black again.

The hardware diagnostics started with the fan speeding up and then the computer started to play tones like a phone and flashing the threen lights behind num lock, caps lock and the third symbol with the arrow. This sound has been playing for 10 minutes now...

//Mange

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi,

Jumping in here because I have the same problem.

When I ran the LCD diagnostics the screen showed the colours red, green and blue one at a time. After a while the screen turned black again.

The hardware diagnostics started with the fan speeding up and then the computer started to play tones like a phone and flashing the threen lights behind num lock, caps lock and the third symbol with the arrow. This sound has been playing for 10 minutes now...

//Mange

Do you like the thread starter, also do not get output on an external monitor or hdmi tv?

As I have a similar issue, but with my 17R 7720 SE! I get no output to the built in LCD, but only to VGA monitor or HDMI tv :(

Also I do see the colors when holding 'D' key and pressing power... Haven't tried hardware diagnostics, but feel like I wont be able to see anything going on with that anyway... Since I can't see anything on screen during BIOS or anything like that... I just have to wait until windows boots up to a certain point then it starts outputting to my VGA monitor or HDMI tv whichever I chose to hook up.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19530964.aspx

Since we do see the colors though Mange, you would think our problem would be with our video card then rather then the LCD right? Since the computer at a very low level is able to send colors to the LCD it could display an image if the video card was outputting to it properly!

So I'm going to replace my motherboard! Let you know how that works out for me! Should fix it I hope! I think! right? :D

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Restarted - and now it works!

Thanks!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

lol... I wish my fix was that easy! Glad you got yours going though!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor