Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2017 01:00

No sound at all suddenly on my XPS13, even the sound card not found

On 31st May, my sound disappeared. I wonder whether it was linked to the new Windows 10 update which happened the same day. 

Neither the headphones or the build in speakers work and it will not allow me to download new drivers either.

I am rather dependent on sound as I use Skype all day long for my work.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 6th, 2017 07:00

Hello. What model do you have? There are 7 XPS 13 models, some with nothing in common with the others.

When you say you can't download a driver, are you seeing an error message or something?

June 6th, 2017 08:00

HI Jim

The model is an XPS 13 9350

So when I hover over the loudspeaker icon on the taskbar it says "No Audio Output Device installed"  .  Extraordinary as it was there all tyhe time and I did not uninstall anything.

I tried the Device Manager and under OLtherr Devices, Intel High Definition Audio it has a yellow exclamation mark.

It then says

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

But it cannot find the drivers when I search for them.

Please can you help.

Jul

June 6th, 2017 08:00

HI Jim

The model is an XPS 13 9350

So when I hover over the loudspeaker icon on the taskbar it says "No Audio Output Device installed"  .  Extraordinary as it was there all the time and I did not uninstall anything.

I tried the Device Manager and under Other Devices, Intel High Definition Audio , it has a yellow exclamation mark.

It then says

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

But it cannot find the drivers when I search for them.

Please can you help.

Jul

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 6th, 2017 12:00

Jul, the Realtek  6.0.1.7917 driver was the last audio driver that Dell released for the XPS 9350. If it won't install after you download it, there might be a problem with the audio system.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

June 6th, 2017 13:00

Hi Jul,

Just to add, if the Realtek driver install did not work (it hopefully should...), I would recommend uninstalling the Intel High Def Audio, and also any other sound drivers listed in Device Manager (hopefully Realtek is there). Then restart the system and see if it will reload the drivers. The reason for this, is because the Realtek audio should be displayed in Device Manager, and after the system restarts and (hopefully) loads the drivers correctly you will want to select Realtek as the default sound output (that's if you use normal headphones/computer speakers etc). Currently if you have the system docked/plugged into a TV etc., I would recommend doing this with nothing attached. Also, you might want to reload the Intel Graphics Drivers as well (since it should include the audio package for what is missing), here is a link to get additional drivers for your system (just enter your Service Tag, then click "submit", and on the next page select "Drivers & Downloads" followed by "Find it Myself").

Lastly, I would recommend running Diagnostics outside of Windows by pressing F12 at system startup/power on (at the Dell/XPS screen when you first turn the system on before Windows loads). The reason for this is it will determine if the sound at least works outside of Windows. Obviously, as Jim mentions, there could still be something else wrong w/ the hw etc, but I am just curious how the system does outside of Windows and if sound plays. 

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!