Highlighted
Mulder42
1 Nickel

No sound on Inspiron 17R 5720 after Windows 10 upgrade

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if there are new sound drivers for an Inspiron 17R (5720) [2013 era]  laptop?

I "upgraded" to Windows 10 tonight and now it cannot use the drivers it has installed. The drivers are listed there, but it says that they can't be used for some reason, so I have no sound. None.

So far between this and the constant crashing of apps, this "upgrade" feels more like a HORRIBLE beta-test of software.

I might want my Windows 8.1 back if this keeps up.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Not applicable

RE: No sound on Inspiron 17R 5720 after Windows 10 upgrade

Jump to solution

I have dell 15R (N5010) and that same problem. When i upgrade to Windows 10 my audio drivers doesn't work and no have sound. I spoke with Microsof community, he send me to dell... Rly funny dell leave users of older laptops because they no have profits for that. The warranty is over so bye Smiley Happy

Mulder42
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I agree - Dell doesn't seem to support their products anymore (like they did about a decade ago). Microsoft decided with Windows 10 that it would  be ingenious to run one GIANT beta test by giving the software away free to everyone, so now as a result we have BROKEN computers.

I had great faith in Microsoft until this upgrade. Now I am seriously contemplating never buying a PC again.

Mulder42
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

UPDATE: Windows update fixed my issue this evening and found new drivers for audio as well as video.

Let your computer check for updates for Windows drivers. If that doesn't work, I had just found this thread and was about to try it before my issue was automatically fixed:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/idt-high-definition-audio-codec-not-working-on/570a5038-e48e-43f3-af75-95da61447c87?page=26

"try this, It worked for my stuborn problem:

FIRST: Go to Cortana (ask anything) in the start meune and type Device Manager; On the pop-up above click (Device Manager Control Panel)

NEXT: Go down to the (Sound, Video, gaming controller) and click the (>) to expand the file.

NOTE: There you should have two options. 1Smiley SadAMD High Definition Audio Controllers) and 2Smiley SadHigh Definition Audio Device)

NOTE: I have an AMD. Your audio controller may be a different brand. No big deal.

NEXT: Right click on the (High Definition Audio Device) and click (Update Driver) a second box opens:

NEXT: Click the Bottom Option (Browse my computer for driver software) another box opens.

NEXT: Click the Bottom option (Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer) another box opens.

NEXT: On the (Model) Options: Click (HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE) then click next.

You should hear a sound from your speakers. Good Luck because I know how you feel.

I hope it works for you like it worked for me bcause I was really bummed until someone here left a post which I can not find for the life of me. "