Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2009 04:00

No sound on external speakers or headphone on Dell XPS 1530

Hi Everyone, I have got a Dell XPS 1530, the Sound jack for headphone and speakers is not working. Earlier it was working fine but when I connect my external speakers, it was stop working and now even on my headphone there is no sound except hiss sound. My laptop speakers are working fine but only problem with the external speakers and headphones. Please let me know whether it could be jack problem or any software issue. Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 13th, 2009 06:00

To find out if it a hardware or software problem run the audio tests in Dell Diagnostics. These interactive audio tests are designed to narrow down the problem to either the software or hardware. The tests are independent of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if those are working correctly or not. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .
2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests. (At this point - after you have opened Dell Diagnostic custom - if you can't find the option to select the audio tests that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.)
5. The tests will run. The tests will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it.
6. If you don't hear the music thru the jack during the test it definitely means there is a hardware failure somewhere in the system. In this case Dell will repair the computer if it is still under warranty.
7.If you do hear the audio during the test but not when you boot back into Windows, that almost always means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the audio driver or with Windows.

No Events found!