Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

November 5th, 2012 03:00

No touch screen on Studio 1747 after Win 8 install

My touch screen does not work after Win 8 install.

Have the following device error:

USB\VID_1B96&PID_0001&REV_0000&MI_00
I don't know if this is the touch screen driver or not.

Studio 1747 i7 1.6mhz

2 meg ram

Tim

6 Posts

November 5th, 2012 04:00

I have an XPS L702x and my touchscreen does not work after windows 8 install......Waiting on new updated drivers

My drivers are from  N-Trig  I believe.....wonder if it's the same on the Studio 1747

They have windows 8 beta drivers for the XPS L702x but I can't get it working on my system.

6 Posts

I have tried both windows 7 drivers, and the available beta driver for windows 8 from the n-trig website, still no touch, although device manager is indicating everything is ok....I also tried installing windows 7 and the drivers, then windows 8 over windows 7 still no touch.......The windows 8 n-trig duosense driver has a date of Aug. 2012 on it. Hope they are working on a new driver that works.

1.8K Posts

Hi Tim,

I suggest you to download and try installing the Windows 7 touch screen drivers on Windows 8 from the following link:
http://dell.to/VtqBFl

You can also check for an updated driver via updates by following the steps provided in the link: http://bit.ly/VNu9h9

Please reply to this message if you need further assistance.  

2 Posts

March 4th, 2013 17:00

I also have the same problem.  I upgraded my Dell Studio 1747  bit laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8.  Everything else worked fine but I lost my touch screen capability.

I ran the full Dell diagnostics and got the following error:  "USB Composit:  DuoSense - Tested and Needs Attention, Child device has an unknown problem".

It appears that I need an updated Windows 8 driver but I don't know which one to load.  I have seen other people post where they have installed Windows 8 on this laptop and theirs runs fine.

I talked with Dell technical software support.  They know what the problem is and how to fix it but they won't give me the time of day unless I purchase from them a Software Support module (even though my hardware and total machine warranties are good for 2 more years).

I also have had a problem with HDMI connections ever since I've had my machine.  when I connect the laptop using the HDMI connection I get video but never audio.  Dell has told me that they know exactly what the problem is (in the settings) but won't tell me unless I purchase the software warranty program.

Any Ideas?

Lynn

6 Posts

March 4th, 2013 18:00

www.ntrig.com  is the website for the updated drivers from N-trig  just select support and select your model....also what graphics driver is your computer running? I know my problem with the touchscreen/n-trig drivers was with my Intel 3000 drivers......

As for the HDMI with no sound, make sure you are using HDMI 1.4 cable, sometimes the HDMI 1.3 or lower/cheaper cables do not work....also for the HDMI if your TV has more than one HDMI input, try a regular HDMI and also try the HDMI/DVI port may work not 100% sure on that one.....

Any other questions, please post so we can help each other with them

2 Posts

March 5th, 2013 07:00

Mike, you're the best...

I went to the N-trig site and downloaded the Win8_Driver_x64_v2\x64 driver (N-trig showed it to be the correct driver for the Studio 1747 laptop).  It comes with a great PDF file on how to install the driver.  However, all you need to do to install it is click on the X64 folder and run the DPInst program.  It does the rest for you.

The driver download also comes with a calibration tool for the touch screen if you're having touch performance problems or if you're observing random clicks.

My touch screen is back and it works GREAT!  It's a lot more fun to navigate the new Windows 8 operating screens with your fingers.

Thanks so much for your help Mike...

Lynn

March 25th, 2014 07:00

Hi Lynn. Thinking of upgrading my Studio 1747 to Windows 8 and good to hear that you were successful. I have a couple of questions to ask you that might help me make an informed choice before I go for Windows 8 on the 1747 as to all intents and purposes Dell are saying that Windows 8 is incompatible and unsupported on this model. How did you upgrade, online or via a disk (I have a Windows 8 64bit reinstallation disk and I'm not 100% certain I can do a clean install via this route)? Other than the N-trig touch driver issue, did you notice any effect on any of the other devices; e.g the JBL SRS sound card and system or the ATI 4650HD graphics card? How about the functionality of the power button, or the Dell touch panel - was any of this affected? Would appreciate any detail you could share of your experience. Thanks. Terry
No Events found!