Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2012 20:00

Non-System Disk error message after driver update with Inspiron N1510

I just updated my hard drive firmware on my Inspiron N5110 laptop. Now at boot I am getting a "Non System Disk  -press any key" at boot. When I hit any key it still goes into Windows. I realized at the update that my drive is a Samsung (part number HM641JI), not a Seagate one,  I don't see any other firmware update listed for my model and drive in "Drivers and Downloads". Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

12 Posts

March 6th, 2012 05:00

I did a little research about how the Seagate firmware updates. If you have a bootable Windows installation CD you can fix it by using the Windows recovery console and running bootrec /fixmbr. support.microsoft.com/.../927392 has the information on how to use this tool.

This does not need a full restore, nor does it harm your existing data.

11 Posts

March 6th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for the help. It led me to the solution which was repairing the MBR (Master Boot Record) using bootrec.exe/fixmbr..

4.4K Posts

March 6th, 2012 03:00

Hi  RonGreen,

Welcome to the Community. If you've updated the wrong firmware,i suggest you can try System Restore.This will help you to restore the system to a time before you updated that firmware.

For help to perform System Restore refer to the link below:

support.dell.com/.../document

Are you facing any problem with the HDD?Any reason why you wanted to update the firm ware for the HDD?

Hope this helps,

Thank You

Roshan.

12 Posts

March 6th, 2012 05:00

I have exactly the same problem, except on an XPS-15Z. Why did I install it? Because I foolishly believed that, as I had looked up drivers by my service tag it would only offer those which matched my machine.

Restoring the system is hardly a solution - the update has done something to the hard drive layout. If that can be reverted then a full blown reformat and reinstall (which lets face it, is what a "restore" is) wouldn't be necessary. If the driver update had been properly written to check if it was applicable in the first place then this wouldn't be necessary either. If the support site did what it was supposed to this wouldn't be necessary.

As you supplied the driver update you must know what it does, and how the changes to the boot process can be rolled back.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2012 16:00

I also tries updating my hard drive firmware on my XPS L502X laptop.Now at boot I am getting a "Non System Disk  -press any key" at boot. When I hit any key it still goes into Windows!!!!!  My drive is Hitachi HTS727575A9E364 not a Seagate one

11 Posts

March 8th, 2012 17:00

Pretty frustrating, especially in light of the fact that the list of drivers the Dell site returns is based on a machine specific TAG number assigned by them. I guess presumption led me to trust it to be accurate and that got me into trouble. This experience seems to infer that for any future updating I need to open up the case and catalog anything that what require a driver to function and then compare it to the list of what is on their drivers list. I am not sure what a novice would do with some of the drivers that description would make no sense to them? To compound the problem I ran into at least 3 drivers where the ones on the site were older than what was on my machine. No that I got that off my chest, did you fix the problem you are having? The solution I applied fixed mine.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2012 18:00

Agree, it seems we can not just depend on the auto detection from Dell.

I had to find a bookable Win 7 DVD to get to the Recovery. & Thanks the Bootrec.exe  /fixMBR  did fix the problem. 

September 28th, 2012 06:00

I'm not sure whether you are a Dell employee or this is a voluntary forum but just to advise you that quite a few of the drivers specifically downloaded for my service tag come up with a message that they are incompatible with my system.

No Events found!