Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2015 15:00

Not able to install Windows after formatting hard disk

I am not able to install windows on the machine. I have Dell Inspiron N5010.

Getting below warning.

- Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 2.
Details: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk controller is enabled in the computer BIOS menu.

In BIOS

SATA Mode - AHCI

1.8K Posts

September 15th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

When you formatted the disk did you also partition it?   Also, what version of Windows are you trying to install the the system, and what media are you using to install it?

Have you gone into the system BIOS and changed any of the SATA settings to see if you can get Windows to load on it?

Todd

6 Posts

September 17th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

- I did not partition the drive where I am planning to install windows
- Installing windows 7 through OEM CD provided by dell
- Not able to change BIOS setting because I do not know the Admin Password

Taral

1.8K Posts

September 17th, 2015 08:00

Hello,

Well, the SATA mode should be set to AHCI.   Your original post listed the HDD as having a partition 2.   Did you purchase this as a replacement hard drive?  

When you're in BIOS do you see the hard drive listed by name under the SATA HDD or Fixed HDD fields under the Main tab?

As for the BIOS password, that isn't something we can help you with on the forums. You have to contact Dell Tech Support, be able to confirm ownership of the system, before they can help you clear that password.

Todd

6 Posts

September 17th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

- Hard drive is the one provided by dell.
- Fixed HDD - TOSHIBA MK5076GSX
- While Installing windows on "Where do you want to install windows?" section, I am trying to install on "Disk 0 Partition 2" which has a Total Size and Free Space of 100 GB and Type is Primary. Getting below message "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition. See the Setup log files for more information"

Taral.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2015 22:00

Received below message when tried to install windows again.

- Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 2.
Details: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk controller is enabled in the computer BIOS menu.

Taral.

1.8K Posts

September 18th, 2015 07:00

Hello,

You can try and re-partition the hard drive as this page instructs, but if you do need to get into the BIOS to reset any settings that isn't something I can help you with since it's password protected.  Not sure if having the partition listed as 2 is causing the problem or not but try deleting all those partitions on the HDD and set them to unallocated. 

Todd

6 Posts

September 18th, 2015 09:00

Will deleting the partition erase the data in the hard disk? 

1.8K Posts

September 18th, 2015 12:00

Will deleting the partition erase the data in the hard disk? 

Yes.   If you're trying to install Windows on a 2nd partition to preserve data then you would need to contact our advanced software support group, and they charge a fee for their services.   Or you can search online and find instructions on how to do it, but it's not something we support here on the forums.

Todd

1.8K Posts

September 18th, 2015 13:00

How do I contact Advanced Software Support Group?

You would need to contact your local Dell Tech Support group for your country / region, and they can put you in touch with their software support groups.

Todd

6 Posts

September 18th, 2015 13:00

How do I contact Advanced Software Support Group?

September 18th, 2015 16:00

Hello and good evening

All of this ACHI in BIOS I know absolutely nothing about. However, DO NOT delete the small partition or you will lose your Diagnostics.

Why even mess with the BIOS? Just flash it only if it is a later version. I was informed long ago by Pro-Support to just "delete" and "create" the larger partition while installing a fresh installation of the OS.

To each his/her own but why even use passwords? What are you protecting?

Food for thought.

Mark

1 Message

July 4th, 2016 17:00

Hi,

I am getting the same error. My Dell Inspiron N5110 hard drive was gone so i have replaced it with Western Digital Hard drive from DVD drive.

In BIOS it is being shown as SATA HDD and Fixed HDD is showing as NONE.

I changed the interface from ATA to AHCI, how can i fix this issue?

I was not able to open up the mother board as the screws were too tight, can't even unscrew one.

No Events found!