Philby12
2 Iron

Not quite sure this is right group, but installing factory version of windows 8

Jump to solution

I have tried to install a fresh factory settings version of Windows 8 on my Inspirion 17se laptop, and even though that process runs ok, when I reboot to Hard drive, I get message Operating system missing. Cannot work out why, also I cannot get F8 to bring up the menu where one can choose Safe mode, repair PC etc. Any ideas? Advice thanks Phil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Philby12
2 Iron

RE: Not quite sure this is right group, but installing factory version of windows 8

Jump to solution

Hi again, okay sorted it out, hardrive had to be unlocked, not even sure how I did that, but once I did system booted to the factory restore version I had used from Back UP DVD's.  As for F8 etc, there is a way to get that to work, but it has to be done within Windows iutself under advanced settings, seems silly to have it there only, some on web say Right shift and F8 will work, but it doesn't.

thanks anyway

Cheers

Phil

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Not quite sure this is right group, but installing factory version of windows 8

Jump to solution

Hi Phil,

The F8 function will not work in Windows 8, also let me know did you install the Windows 8 operating system using the OEM CD/DVD?

Also shut down the computer and then run the hardware diagnostics, follow the steps below.

Press the Fn + power this will initiate the hardware diagnostics. Let us know if there is any error code listed.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
Philby12
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for reply,

Ah no wonder F8 doesn't work, I assume F6 doesn't either, why does MS change things, that have been there since WIndows 3.1, anyway Windows 8 was installed by Dell Factory installed. They don't supply actual discs. Hence why I did back ups, I try the Fn + Power and see what happens,

The DVD drive in this system has been quite temporatmental in last few months reading discs, as it starts to read the 2nd factory back up disc I did, I then see the Blue Windows Icon and that is it. Yes before you ask obvious I cleaned discs.

Anyway I'l try your suggestion and let you know.

Cheers

Phil

0 Kudos
Philby12
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi again, okay sorted it out, hardrive had to be unlocked, not even sure how I did that, but once I did system booted to the factory restore version I had used from Back UP DVD's.  As for F8 etc, there is a way to get that to work, but it has to be done within Windows iutself under advanced settings, seems silly to have it there only, some on web say Right shift and F8 will work, but it doesn't.

thanks anyway

Cheers

Phil

0 Kudos