Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 15th, 2016 07:00

Nvidia temperature jump

Hello,  i have DELL N5110 with NVIDIA GT 525m video card.
Few months ago i notice that after 5-6 minutes playing (counter strike 1.6 for example) laptop turns off.
I started to monitor GPU temperature whicj was about 70 degrees and after 5-6 minutes it jumps to 95 degrees and than every second raises for 1 degree until it comes to 100 degrees and laptop shut down.

I changed thermal paste on CPU and GPU and cleaned fan!
Playing temperature was 64 degrees, but after 5-6 minutes temperature jumps again to 95 and soon laptop turns off.

I tried  windows 7 and windows 8.1, i tried latest drivers and 1 year old drivers, the problem stays!

What could be the problem?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 15th, 2016 08:00

It's time to replace the thermal compound under the heatsinks -- and clean out all the dust inside the system at the same time.

This is a major overhaul on this model - service manual below.

< >

The heatsink compound will dry out over time and once dry, no longer allows for efficient heat transfer away from the CPU and GPU.

May 15th, 2016 14:00

as i said i already do that

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 15th, 2016 14:00

Double check to make sure there is no air gap under the heatsink.  Most of these are fitted with pads, not heatsink compound - if there's any air gap, it could easily explain the high temperature.

May 18th, 2016 02:00

I found that temperature jumps only when GPU work 100% and when that happens cooling system can't cooldown system anymore :(

No Events found!