Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2013 12:00

O2Micro Memory Card Reader on Latitude with Windows 8.1

I have a Latitude E5520 and a Lattitude E5530, both have the O2Micro SD Memory Card Reader.  The reader worked fine in Windows 8, but after installing the 8.1 update, the SD card reader does not work at all when inserting a memory card.  There is no audible sound, no disk drive available in Windows Explorer, and in Device Manager, the O2 is not listed in "Storage Controllers" where it should be. 

There are two versions of the driver that I've found online on the Dell site, but neither one solves the issue.

I found this workaround, but it's not a very good one:

• In Windows 8.1, press Start button and type fix devices, and click Find and fix problems with devices in the results list.
  • Click Next and allow it to check for problems.  It will come back with the option to enable the device Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 1C1A or something similar
  • Click Apply this fix
  • When done, close the troubleshooter and open Windows Explorer, and you should see the card reader
  • In Device Manager, you should see O2Micro Integrated MMC/SD controller and O2Micro Integrated MS/MSPRO controller

Now, here's the bad news - after you reboot, or even go into sleep and come back out, the card reader is gone, and you have to do these steps over again.

If anyone has a permanent fix, I would love to know what it is!

-Dave

7 Posts

December 8th, 2013 05:00

I had the same problem with my E5430 and thank you guitarfish for your trick !

But I have finally found the correct driver and now everything seems to work fine, here is what I have done :

- Go to the Dell driver website

- Tick : All related drivers for your Product

- Choose : MS Windows 8.1 64-bit

- Go to : Storage Controller

- Install : O2Micro Smartcard Driver (O2Micro OZ77CR6 Smart Card Driver)

January 24th, 2015 11:00

I had this same issue with my Dell e5430 Win8.1. On Dell's product site there is an O2Micro driver, but it doesn't work for me, so I started to find something else. Windows didn't see my SD cards in the slot. Finally, I've got it. This drive works for me:

www.station-drivers.com/.../990

34 Posts

December 8th, 2013 18:00

Thanks so much!  It worked great on my E5530.  I appreciate you posting.

-Dave

7 Posts

December 9th, 2013 04:00

You're welcome !

But I'am afraid that the driver solution is not enough. Today again after a reboot the card reader disapeared... :emotion-6:

When you open Device Manager, the card reader appears in the list when you select "Display -> Show hidden devices", any reason why it keeps disconnecting ?

34 Posts

December 9th, 2013 06:00

I rebooted the 5530 once and it was still there.  I'll check it again tonight.  The new driver wasn't listed for the 5520, but I installed the 5530 driver anyway.  No dice.  For what it's worth, the DVD drive doesn't even show up on the 5520 unless I run the Find and Fix Devices util every time I need it. 

When I moved from Windows XP and Vista to Windows 7, there were minimal hardware issues.  I was actually pleased at the job MS did in supporting older hardware.  However, going from Windows 8 to 8.1, which you'd think would be pretty painless, has not been!  There have been are a lot of strange hardware issues so far.

Dell needs to get a working O2 driver for Win 8.1 online.

34 Posts

December 9th, 2013 16:00

The issue persists on my E5530 as well.  For what it's worth, when the Find and Fix Devices util is run, the device that it enables to allow the O2 reader to be seen is called Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family Express Root Port 6 - 1E1A.  So I don't think it's the O2Micro driver, but actually the Intel chipset that's the issue. 

I guess I'm just going to allow a little time and hopefully Intel/Dell/MS get this sorted out.  I know if I call tech support it will be a complete waste of time.

2 Posts

December 9th, 2013 21:00

Hi guys,

I am joining the fun with my Precision M4700. Same story.

I had some success with both of your methods. The fix devices thing worked nicely and I have also installed the patch from the Latitude (I thought same component same driver) 

The joy was lived only until this morning. Now I can do nothing. It won't even find the Fix devices solution. So I uninstalled the driver and if you then enable the Intel thing you mention it works somehow? So the driver installation was useless?

This is frustrating

7 Posts

December 9th, 2013 23:00

I tried to install "Intel Management Engine Components" drivers but that was useless...

I am still digging the internet to find something else :emotion-1:

7 Posts

December 10th, 2013 00:00

Ok I have found something else but I don't know if it will last long but give it a try...

- Go to : Device Manager

- In the list under "System Devices" find the entry : Root Port 6 PCI Express Family Chipsets Intel(R) 7/C216 - 1E1A

I have a french version so i'm not sure about the exact translation. For me, there was a computer icon with an arrow down on it. Now, right click and select "Activate".

Let me know if it works for you.

34 Posts

December 10th, 2013 05:00

CKnodyvara, welcome to the club.  :emotion-2:

Ok I have found something else but I don't know if it will last long but give it a try...

- Go to : Device Manager

- In the list under "System Devices" find the entry : Root Port 6 PCI Express Family Chipsets Intel(R) 7/C216 - 1E1A

This is basically that manual process of doing what Find and Fix Devices does.  It only worked for one reboot.  The core issue is this chipset item is not enabled when Windows 8.1 starts up.  So it's not really an O2 driver issue after all.

I also updated the Intel Mgmt Components driver, no change.  Does it feel like we're the only 3 people in the world using Win 8.1 on Dell laptops?  :emotion-42:

2 Posts

December 10th, 2013 08:00

Thanks nice to be here. A problem shared is a problem halved.

I like how we all think a like.

Yes I have done the same including driver installation etc.

Does it feel like we're the only 3 people in the world using Win 8.1 on Dell laptops?  :emotion-42:

This might be our  lesson learned. I have asked people in the entire office and no one has Upgraded.

Seems that everybody is suddenly happy with win8, if they don't even bother to get 8.1.

7 Posts

December 12th, 2013 01:00

Still digging :)

I would like to download Intel® Chipset Device Software from the official website https://downloadcenter.intel.com but the site appears to be down right now... I found and installed a 9.4.4.1006 version from an unofficial website but it didn't change anything.

Could somone tell me the last version available from the Intel website if you have access ?

If you want to install it, you should follow the instructions here : http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/49573-New-Intel-Chipset-Drivers-for-laptops-with-Win-8-1-Support

For info, wait 30s after the command "setup.exe -overall -overide" to see the installation screen.

34 Posts

December 12th, 2013 05:00

Still digging :)

I would like to download Intel® Chipset Device Software from the official website https://downloadcenter.intel.com but the site appears to be down right now... I found and installed a 9.4.4.1006 version from an unofficial website but it didn't change anything.

Could somone tell me the last version available from the Intel website if you have access ?

If you want to install it, you should follow the instructions here : http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/49573-New-Intel-Chipset-Drivers-for-laptops-with-Win-8-1-Support

For info, wait 30s after the command "setup.exe -overall -overide" to see the installation screen.

Well, we're getting closer, but still no dice.  The Intel site still appears to be down.  I was able to download the driver 9.4.0.1027 from the MyDigitalLife site and install it on my E5520.  It solved the problem with my DVD drive not being visible, but a couple reboots still leaves Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root port 6 - 1C1A not enabled.

It sounds like this is a pretty wide-ranging issue with other laptops besides Dell.  I'm sure Intel is working 'round the clock on a fix.  :emotion-43:

1 Message

January 3rd, 2014 21:00

I have a Precision M6700.  I just installed the latest Intel Chipset drivers v9.4.0.1029 and they seem to have resolved the problem. After several reboots, my SD card reader has been working correctly. 

34 Posts

January 4th, 2014 09:00

I have a Precision M6700.  I just installed the latest Intel Chipset drivers v9.4.0.1029 and they seem to have resolved the problem. After several reboots, my SD card reader has been working correctly. 

Link?
No Events found!