Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2009 02:00

Onboard sound not working on XPS M2010 after upgrading to Windows 7

Hi,

I just bought a used Dell XPS M2010 laptop and installed Windows 7 (the final  64-bit version) on it on the weekend after running the "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (beta)".

Most things (at least the basic stuff) seem to work after upgrading - except the sound from the onboard speakers (headphones do work!).

When I go to Control Panel > Sound, I can see the onboard speakers as well as the headphones as "playback device" - and they both do work (according to Windows). I just can't hear anything...!

What can I do? This is my first Dell laptop...

Thorsten

60 Posts

August 10th, 2009 06:00

try installing the latest driver

7 Posts

November 1st, 2009 08:00

No, I was waiting for Dell to come up with genuine Windows 7 drivers. Dell started end of August to publish Windows 7 drivers - but still none for XPS M2010. I doubt if they will ever do because XPS M2010 is not sold anymore.

The official statement is to use Vista drivers instead. I can't test if they work because my laptop is broken at the moment. Anyway: not providing Windows 7 drivers for such an expensive notebook - which used to be Dell's flagship - is pathetic.

Have a look at http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&docid=361553&l=en&s=gen

2 Posts

November 1st, 2009 08:00

Hello,

Did you ever fix this problem or find the right driver to download?

Cheers

2 Posts

November 1st, 2009 10:00

Hi,

Totally agree, Dell´s support sucks.  I ended up installing the Audio Driver and it fixed my speakers.  It didn´t install itself though like some of their other drivers.

Cheers

1 Message

November 1st, 2009 10:00

Yeah I did the same, Installing the Vista audio drivers will fix the sound problems you can find the fix here.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=XPS_M2010&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

March 23rd, 2013 18:00

i have the same problem what should I do. I have tried everything I seen on line but nothing is working. installed windows 8 and my sound only work on headphones

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 24th, 2013 06:00

installed windows 8 and my sound only work on headphones

Install the Sigmatel R147073 audio driver using Vista compatibility mode. There are a couple of ways to do this. One way was explained to you in the other thread you created. If that method does not work then do this:

Download your audio driver and extract the files (unzip or unpack) but cancel the installation process. Go to the folder on the hard drive to which you unpacked the driver files
c:\Dell\Drivers\R147073 

Find the setup.exe file and right click on it. Select the Properties. Find the compatibility tab and select Vista.

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 00:00

I know this is fairly late in the piece, with respect to the initial post, but I was having the exact same problem having recently switched to Windows 7, using the XPS M2010. Jimco's solution above worked perfectly, although all I did was click on the Sigmatel link above, and run the program. After the requested restart, I heard the Windows startup sound for the first time since the upgrade. It was music to my ears, and I usually hate that sound lol.

I just wanted to say thanks to Jimco for the info, as this was the only solution that I could find which solved my problem, particularly after having searched for so long! I even created an account on this site, to not only say thank you for the solution, but to let anyone else who happens to need the same solution, that this worked in my particular case, and it's worth a shot!

Thanks again, I am very grateful for finally being able to use the onboard speakers

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 29th, 2014 06:00

Thank you for the feedback.

No Events found!