NJCurmudgeon
1 Nickel

Re: Operation System Not Found

Ha! Too true!

So considering the error message, could it be a problem with the Windows 7 installation? Is there a way of checking that?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

NJCurmudgeon,

Hardware checks, then it's an installation problem.

Easiest method is...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Manual method is...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jim C
2 Iron

Before you do anything rash do you have an external hard disk hooked up when this happens?

0 Kudos
NJCurmudgeon
1 Nickel

We did an experiment. When there is no external hard drive hooked up, the laptop starts normally, both after being shut down completely and woken up from sleep mode. When the external drive is plugged in, the error message appears. So that does indeed seem to be a clue. I haven't heard the fan running excessively after rebooting, but I also know from reviews that the fan can be particularly loud on that model under normal running.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

NJCurmudgeon.

Jim C, Thanks, I forgot about an attached device.

Restart the computer and press F2 at the Dell Screen. Look for boot sequence. Make it...

CD/DVD Rom

HDD Hard Drive

USB Removable devices

Network

Save changes and exit.

When you start the computer with the hard drive attached, it should boot for cd/dvd first then hard drive. It will no longer look for the usb attached devices.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
wolfstin
1 Copper

Reason why "Operating System not found" error occurs is outlined here:
http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/b11/fix-operating-system-not-found.php

Article linked above also explains in detail how to fix it using Emergency Boot CD.
This tool can fix various boot problems related to boot records, BCD and mount points in registry.

Hope this helps, good luck.

0 Kudos
Wiknix
1 Nickel

RE: Operation System Not Found

Operating system not found or Missing operating system error when you start your Windows (8.1/8/7/vista/xp) or PC (sony, hp, dell, lenovo, acer, asus).There are problem with your system partition, your Windows operating system not found in your active drive.

Solved: Operating System Not Found or Missing Operating System: http://www.wiknix.com/operating-system-not-found-missing-operating-system/

Tags (1)
0 Kudos