Highlighted
as91
1 Nickel

Order# Cannot be completed - Part reached End of Life

I had placed this order for an Alienware 17 R4 3 days ago and the order status page is still saying "Order Status-Confirmed" and Estimated Delivery Date 4/26/2017 - 5/3/2017. 

This raised my suspicion and I emailed Dell Customer Support to check order status. I get a response stating that:

"I regret to inf0orm you that the order cannot be completed  as one of the part selected has reached it end of life. Request you to contact our Order Modification Department to look for an alternate product" 

Ignoring the typos in the response, I see that the Order Status page still hasn't been updated with this info and I can't reach the Order Modification Department on a Saturday. I was expecting the laptop to come to me on expedited shipping which clearly isn't going to happen and now I'll have to wait the weekend out to even do something about this order.

Now coming to my main concern, I had worked so hard to wait for a good discount like the 72 hour sale under which I bought this laptop for that great price. And now it seems like the price might change if I modify the order.

Why can't Dell just replace the expired part or replace it with a newer version for the same price? Isn't it unfair to customers to simply tell them that their order cannot be completed due to an expired part without stating what part this is and they'll have to work through the hoops to modify the order themselves which might now nullify the discounted price? So frustrating. I hope someone can do something about this here. Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: Order# 209478204: Cannot be completed - Part reached End of Life

Dell doesn't modify orders... you will likely receive a cancellation notice and need to place a new order.  There is now an R5 of that model -- however, you were receiving a discount on the R4 due to it being an outgoing model.  If you want the R5, the price will almost certainly be higher, as it would be if a dealer canceled an order for a 2017 model car because the factory is already producing 2018 models.

0 Kudos
as91
1 Nickel

Alienware 17 R4

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
17.3 inch FHD IPS Display
16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB)
180GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Killer 1435

It wouldn't look like this build would be remotely old or expired. Barely half a year old and if it was, one would think it would be irresponsible to put it for sale if there wasn't capacity to produce it.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

It's very likely the mainboards aren't produced any longer, and bear in mind that the supply chain is very long - the systems are built in China from parts supplied from there and elsewhere in Asia.

All of the current systems are Kaby Lake 7th generation -- they may simply have run out of boards before your order could be built.

www.dell.com/.../alienware-17-laptop

0 Kudos
as91
1 Nickel

www.dell.com/.../dkcwg01hbcl1

The "expired" product is still listed on their page 3 days after I'd purchased it. Terrible buying experience for me so far.

0 Kudos
as91
1 Nickel

www.dell.com/.../dkcwg01hbcl1

The "expired" product is still available for purchase on their website, 3 days after I'd bought one. Terrible buying experience so far.

0 Kudos
as91
1 Nickel

They still have the exact system listed on their website for purchase in the "Deals" section. And that's 3 days after my order date. Why not remove it or mention out of stock if the product isn't available anymore?

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

It no doubt will be removed -- it may take time.  As noted, the supply chain is long and the marketing group may not yet have received word from the system's manufacturer that it's no longer in production.

0 Kudos