Highlighted
ciervonauta
1 Nickel

Out of warranty period.

Hi guys.

I´ve been having problems with my graphic card ever since I got my M1530  2 years ago. I thought it was due to  the drivers since I had changed from Vista to Xp. But now I´ve changed to Windows 7, and while searching on the internet for my Graphic Card drivers I found out about this common failure of overheating. My warranty finished on December 2009. It seems they expended the warranty to clients getting this problem for another 12 months. So I could have got it fixed till last December, but since nobody notified me and I was thinking the problem was due to other things I find it really deceiving that they won´t fix the problem now that I´m out of warranty.I gave my number and e-mail address when I got the product....

0 Kudos
16 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Out of warranty period.

It's a moot point now - see www.nvidiasettlement.com for the results of the issue.

0 Kudos
ciervonauta
1 Nickel

what if I´m not from de United States. Do I have to contact Dell support in my country then?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You can try, but if you're out of the 1-year extension, you'll likely not get anything.  Since there is no option for this system other than another nVidia based board, and since they're all (according to most engineering analyses) faulty - if you have to pay for a repair, put the money toward a  new system.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
kirkd
4 Ruthenium

What is your exact problem with the video. Is it a bad display or is it overheating?

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
ciervonauta
1 Nickel

It is overheating. If I get the dell support to help me. Will they just change the Graphic card or will they give me a new laptop?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Overheating is not the problem with the video chip, nor is it covered by the extended warranty.  You can either have a shop clean out the heatsink, or do it yourself - but start there. 

0 Kudos
ciervonauta
1 Nickel

That is not what I read in previous posts. Lots of people are having or had the overheating problem. Every time I play a game it goes off after a few minutes, and this is happened since I got the laptop. this is the name of the Thread: XPS M1530 : Temperature problem

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Again, that's not covered by the nvidia class - nor by the extended warranty. ONLY video chip failure -- i.e., video artifacts, black screen, etc. are covered.

Overheating can be caused by:

A faulty fan (verify that it operates - run the Dell diagnostics, F12 at powerup).

A dust-caked fan/heatsink or dried out thermal material between the heatsink and CPU and/or GPU.  The latter two - the fan cleaning/replacing the thermal material - are NOT covered by the extended warranty.  You can repair the system yourself or have a good local shop do the work - but repair is your responsibility.  It is NOT covered.

0 Kudos
ciervonauta
1 Nickel

Lot´s of users have had the very same problem from the very first day. I got this laptop because it had a gamer´s profile. I don´t care whose fault it is. I should be able to play a game for longer than 15 minutes whithout it burning my hands, don´t you agree? Since this is happened from the very first day,as to many others, I don´t think it´s a "dust in the vent" thing. If dell doesn´t take responsabilities on this i´ll go for hp or sony next time. This was supposed to be the most reliable company...

0 Kudos