Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2013 17:00

Overly Sensitive pad on keyboard

Got a new Dell Inspiron 15R in early January, and I am generally pleased with it, and am getting used to the Windows 8 on it, although I tend to go right to the desktop "app."  But here's the problem: 

The touchpad on the keyboard is way too sensitive.  When I am typing, which is mostly what I do on this machine, my thumbs hover over that pad, and frequently trigger it even though I don't touch it.  Must be the heat of my hand.  Is there any way to desensitize it or turn it off, short of throwing it against the wall?  I use a wireless mouse, which I prefer over that pad anyway.  I can't be the only one with this problem.  HELP!

2.6K Posts

March 31st, 2013 19:00

Hi Charles Ladd,

I can understand electronic devices can create confusion when they do not work the way they are designed for.

Here are few things that we can try to fix this technical issue.

Press + to enable or disable the touchpad. An indicator LED lights up just above the touchpad once it has been disabled.

To configure touchpad settings:

1. Access the Control Panel, use the Charms Bar in Desktop Mode while on the desktop, bring out the Charms Bar, and click Settings. Then, select Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound.
  2. Double Click Dell Touchpad to open the application.
  3. This application has the options to configure Sensitivity, Buttons, Scroll and Zoom and Gestures.
  4. Please turn off Palm tracking, click Save and exit the screen.

Try using the touchpad and reply.

March 31st, 2013 21:00

I can't tell you how much frustration that will save me.  Thanks.  I suspected there was an easy answer, and there is.  Shame on me for not finding that on my own.

5.2K Posts

March 31st, 2013 22:00

If you continue to have problems, a free utolity, TouchFreeze, will shut the pad down when you begin typing and turn it back on when youstop.

2.6K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 02:00

Hi Charles Ladd,

Thanks for verifying the post, please let me know if you need any further information. I would be glad to assist you.

July 2nd, 2014 23:00

None of this is working on my computer and for some reason the pad has become hyper-sensitive. F3 does nothing and the path given through the control panel is non existent

No Events found!